NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Surf Combos - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 01-05-2020, 10:42 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Surf Combos

Relatively new to the surf game. I have a few set ups already that do me well for the bait game. The rods and reels have performed decently while throwing plugs but it just seems the set ups are a hair too heavy. I can't seem to get enough distance when throwing bucktails/SP Minnows. When I get a few extra dollars I would like to treat myself to a decent plugging set up. I am not willing to break the bank on it and the stuff I have does the job well, just not well enough . Right now I have a 9' Penn set up and a 10' Ugly Stick with an old Daiwa reel set up. Any suggestions ? I have been reading some commentary on Tsunami sets ups and they seem fairly well priced.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:52 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Surf Combos

I bought a tsunami airwave this past year, a 10ft MH paired with a Tsunami Shield 4000 and its been awesome to use. not too expensive and a high quality rod both in look and feel. I've heard good things about daiwa BG reels as well for the money. I'm getting more and more into surf fishing, its so fun! Good luck!
Old 01-07-2020, 07:55 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

It has been fun, my wife can sun bathe and I stay out of her hair. Perfect combo. Do you throw SP Minnows/Swim Shads/etc with the Tsunami and get decent distance ?
Old 01-07-2020, 02:58 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikesdad View Post
It has been fun, my wife can sun bathe and I stay out of her hair. Perfect combo. Do you throw SP Minnows/Swim Shads/etc with the Tsunami and get decent distance ?
Totally. The SPs you have to cast a certain way or else they'll tumble in mid air and won't go as far. I give them a bit more slack then i normally would and kinda catapult them out which seems to work pretty well. I use smaller shad when i fish them that don't go as far as the larger ones but I never have any issue with distance. About half of my bites this season came less than 20 feet offshore too, so you don't always need the distance!
Old 02-06-2020, 05:45 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I've owned 2 Tsunami rods. The action of the rod blank awesome. Give it a few years and the rest will fall apart - guides will turn to crap, etc. I had Grumpy's spin up a custom rod for me and it really made a difference. I definitely outcast most and thats with a rod a little under 10 ft. I've stood on the Avon jetty which is at least 100 ft' short of the Belmar jetty and have outcasted those standing on the Belmar jetty. Fisherman always turn around to see what / who in the hell is casting that far. When you get a custom rod done right, they will see how you cast, what reel you want to buy and will adjust the setting of the eyes based on the reel and the distance of the reel placement from the bottom of the butt based on how you cast. Kevin B. referred me to him. Kevin builds all of my other rods except surf. Grumpy's knows their stuff.
I've got a ODM blank paired with a Saragosa 5000. The goose is a workhorse.
Old 02-07-2020, 04:26 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks for the feedback. My son loves his Bogan rod. I will consider that option.