NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Led lights - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 03-26-2014, 05:14 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Led lights

I saw some posts about people doing them and wondering about blue or red ropes. how they worked for lighting up the deck, prices, tubes vs rope, and how easy to install. Looks simple but thought I would ask peoples judgement before I bought thanks Pete
Old 03-26-2014, 08:05 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Led lights

Can't help you with the tube vs rope question...but I put a dual color bar inside the T-top for setting up before shoving off and went with white and red. The red color falls at the end of the light spectrum and won't effect your night vision as much. Just knowing that makes me feel off the spectrum!
Old 03-27-2014, 11:37 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I went with ribbon lights and it is super easy to install. Just hooked them up to my existing courtesy light switch and circuit and mounted them with phenoseal caulk. They have been on the boat for 4 years so far with no problems at all. The light from under the gunnel in the picture are the ribbon lights, I also have my spreader lights on too, but I think you can get an idea how much light they are throwing.

My over head courtesy light are tri colored and I find that I use the blue most of the time and hardly ever use the red as I can see the water much better with the blue and it's softer on the eyes.

I think I paid a total of $100.00 for the ribbon lights for 16' (8' on each side)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	033.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	67836  
Old 03-27-2014, 11:45 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

These pictures will give you an idea on the three colors.... with the red and blue lights on its very hard to see what color something is on the boat as you can see with my wife's yellow dress.

We call the red "Angry"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	041.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	67837   Click image for larger version

Name:	042.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	67838   Click image for larger version

Name:	043.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	67839  
Old 03-27-2014, 12:33 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantfan View Post
I went with ribbon lights and it is super easy to install. Just hooked them up to my existing courtesy light switch and circuit and mounted them with phenoseal caulk. They have been on the boat for 4 years so far with no problems at all. The light from under the gunnel in the picture are the ribbon lights, I also have my spreader lights on too, but I think you can get an idea how much light they are throwing.

My over head courtesy light are tri colored and I find that I use the blue most of the time and hardly ever use the red as I can see the water much better with the blue and it's softer on the eyes.

I think I paid a total of $100.00 for the ribbon lights for 16' (8' on each side)
Looks cool - On the ribbon lights you say you mounted them with phoenoseal caulk. So do you just lay a bead of caulk on the fiberglass under the gunnel and the ribbon lights stick to the caulk??. I would guess you need to tape them in place or something temporarily until the caulk dries??

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 03-27-2014, 12:52 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post
Looks cool - On the ribbon lights you say you mounted them with phoenoseal caulk. So do you just lay a bead of caulk on the fiberglass under the gunnel and the ribbon lights stick to the caulk??. I would guess you need to tape them in place or something temporarily until the caulk dries??
Exactly! Put a bead of caulk on the light itself and used blue tape to hold it up till the caulk dried. Been thru some rough seas to say the least and they haven't budged.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:26 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Sounds like an easy install since I already have some regular courtesey lights under the gunnel. Take them out, wire the Led to those same wires and I'm done.

I've seen some of these ribbon lights that are red and white on the same strip so you can switch between the 2 as well as Red Green and Blue on the same strip that come with a remote to allow you to mix and make almost any color light you want. Pretty slick..

Gerry Zagorski <><

NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 03-28-2014, 08:44 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:

Do you have a website where you got them excactly what I'm looking to do thanks pete
Old 03-29-2014, 09:19 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suckafish View Post
Do you have a website where you got them excactly what I'm looking to do thanks pete
I sent you a private message....
Old 03-29-2014, 10:10 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Quote:
I sent you a private message....
Can you shoot me a PM as we'll Pete?

Thanks

Gerry Zagorski <><