NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

New Ride - Page 3 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 04-20-2016, 11:11 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: New Ride

Funny. The prop sizing is using a look up based upon boat weight.

Prop sizing is an art. Too little pitch and no top end and not full HP output at WOT. Too much pitch it does not let engine develop max horsepower at designed WOT rpm.

Definitely stainless steel prop.

I think 4 blade gives you more dig in at start. But creates more drag at hi rpms and lessens top sped very slightly. More trades off- holeshot vs top end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCinerie View Post
Update. 2
Things prop is going to be a little less pitch and maybe 4 blade ! And a little adjustment to throttle Will be moving faster by Friday !
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber
Old 04-20-2016, 03:15 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Smile Re: New Ride

My boat weighs 4500 plus 600 lbs for motor 145 gallons gas plus stuff! It is no light weight !
Old 04-20-2016, 05:35 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

As you probably know, its very important to have your props dialed in correctly or you can overload the engine and, your fuel consumption goes through the roof...

FWIW - I would not go running that engine around under load like it is, especially during break in period.

Wondering if these new wiz bang motors have some sort of rev limiter on them to not go over a certain RPM during the break in period. Just a thought...

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 04-20-2016, 07:45 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I have been following the recommended break in per Suzuki. Did not go over 2000 for first hour then not over 3000 for next couple and never got it over 3500 during first 4 hours. We limped along at 2k RPMS at
8 mph. We fished less then a mile from dock. This weekend hopefully to get her dialed in. The dealer is exchanging prop at no charge! I figure I spend 25 k. On 2 new engines. Exchanges on prop is the least he can do! He is even overnighting so I can fish this weekend. 😀🐟🐟🐟😀
Old 04-21-2016, 10:12 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I doubt it. That rev limiter in an emergency could get you killed.

Also the computer keeps track of it all. The dealer will tell you if you broke it in properly or not. It's an excuse to void your warranty and free coverage. You think they would like that no pay clause? You bet!!

A heavy boat would definitely get a lower pitched prop. The idea is that maximum power(which is speed through water) develops at WOT RPM's. It's a balance ... way too much pitch is 12 knots at 3000 rpm (WOT)... way too little pitch is 12 knots at WOT 5000rpms. It's in between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post
As you probably know, its very important to have your props dialed in correctly or you can overload the engine and, your fuel consumption goes through the roof...

FWIW - I would not go running that engine around under load like it is, especially during break in period.

Wondering if these new wiz bang motors have some sort of rev limiter on them to not go over a certain RPM during the break in period. Just a thought...
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber

Last edited by Capt. Debbie; 04-21-2016 at 10:16 AM..
Old 04-24-2016, 07:32 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Update. Went out this am, put my big buddy on the bow pulpit gave it some gas and 45 seconds later we got it on plane. Hit 36 mph at only 4500 rpm. Tuesday smaller prop will turn 5800/6000. Looking for 45 mph. Cruised at 27 mph 3800rpm 13 gph. Getting close. Also caught 7 walleye to 8 lbs.

Pic. His first walleye!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	95198  
Old 05-01-2016, 01:18 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

final update. New 4 blade prop is on. 15 pitch. Specs. Top end 44.8 mph. 32 gph. 5956 rpm . 4750 rpm 28mph 13 gph I think that is about sweet spot , and she jumps out of the hole! And turns nice. Took a little longer then planned but outcome is good. Time to us it and fish !

Last edited by BCinerie; 05-13-2016 at 08:05 PM.. Reason: Update
Old 05-01-2016, 08:56 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Sounds like your on your way! Good luck