NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!


Message Board


Scombroid food poisoning - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey


Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Non Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Non Fishing Use this board to post non fishing related information. The same rules apply here as the other boards. Behave or your post will be removed along with your posting priviledges.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-26-2012, 09:07 AM
AndyS's Avatar
AndyS AndyS is offline
NJFishing.com Old Salt
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 9,350
Exclamation Scombroid food poisoning

Scombroid food poisoning is a foodborne illness that results from eating spoiled (decayed) fish.[1] It is the second most common type of seafood poisoning,[citation needed] second only to ciguatera. However it is often missed because it resembles an allergic reaction. It is most commonly reported with mackerel, tuna, bluefish, mahi-mahi, bonito, sardines, anchovies, and related species of fish that were inadequately refrigerated or preserved after being caught. The syndrome derived its name because early descriptions of the illness noted an association with Scombroidea fish (e.g., large dark meat marine tuna, albacore, mackerel); however, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have identified the largest vector to be nonscombroid fish, such as mahi-mahi and amberjack. Scombroid syndrome can result from inappropriate handling of fish during storage or processing. One of the toxic agents implicated in scombroid poisoning is histamine. Other chemicals have been found in decaying fish flesh, but their association with scombroid fish poisoning has not been clearly established.

Unlike many types of food poisoning, this form is not brought about by ingestion of a bacterium or virus.[1] Histidine exists naturally in many types of fish, and at temperatures above 16C (60F) on air contact it is converted to the biogenic amine histamine via the enzyme histidine decarboxylase produced by enteric bacteria including Morganella morganii (this is one reason why fish should be stored at low temperatures). Histamine is not destroyed by normal cooking temperatures, so even properly cooked fish can be affected. Histamine is a mediator of allergic reactions, so the symptoms produced are those one would expect to see in severe allergic responses

Symptoms consist of skin flushing, throbbing headache, oral burning, abdominal cramps, nausea, diarrhea, palpitations, a sense of unease, and, rarely, collapse or loss of vision. Symptoms usually occur within 1030 minutes of ingesting the fish and generally are self-limited. Physical signs may include a diffuse blanching erythema, tachycardia, wheezing, and hypotension or hypertension. People with asthma are more vulnerable to respiratory problems such as wheezing or bronchospasms. Symptoms of poisoning can show within just minutes, and up to two hours, following consumption of a spoiled dish. Symptoms usually last for approximately four to six hours and rarely exceed one to two days
__________________
N A V Y

Round Valley Trout Association Member
http://www.cjstreamteam.org/
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-27-2012, 08:44 AM
beachwhistle beachwhistle is offline
NJFishing.com Ambassador
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 250
Default Re: Scombroid food poisoning

A good reason to avoid the "day old sushi" specail next door.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-27-2012, 08:26 PM
Pennsy Guy's Avatar
Pennsy Guy Pennsy Guy is offline
NJFishing.com Ambassador
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hatfield, Pa.
Posts: 977
Default Re: Scombroid food poisoning

Another reason I DON'T buy ANY seafood here in Pennsylvania and I work part-time in a super market up here..I've seen some REALLY DARK MEATED Bluefish for sale....
__________________
First Mate "IRISH ROVER" fishing team(retired)
First Mate "ROSE LEE" fishing team(retired)
Dennis B. missed & remembered
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-28-2012, 10:33 AM
GDubya07's Avatar
GDubya07 GDubya07 is offline
NJFishing.com Old Salt
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,848
Default Re: Scombroid food poisoning

Never Eat discounted dollar off day old sushi - you are asking for trouble - or a .99 cent lobster in Vegas

One other thing does cause this -

" Symptoms consist of skin flushing, throbbing headache, oral burning, abdominal cramps, nausea, diarrhea, palpitations, a sense of unease, and, rarely, collapse or loss of vision. Symptoms usually occur within 10–30 minutes of ingesting the fish and generally are self-limited. Physical signs may include a diffuse blanching erythema, tachycardia, wheezing, and hypotension or hypertension. People with asthma are more vulnerable to respiratory problems such as wheezing or bronchospasms. Symptoms of poisoning can show within just minutes, and up to two hours, following consumption of a spoiled dish. Symptoms usually last for approximately four to six hours and rarely exceed one to two days"

TALKING TO MY WIFE

GDubya-
__________________
The Name is G.W.
#NFG

Last edited by GDubya07; 08-28-2012 at 10:39 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-03-2012, 10:45 AM
shrimpman steve's Avatar
shrimpman steve shrimpman steve is offline
NJFishing.com Old Salt
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ringwood
Posts: 9,347
Default Re: Scombroid food poisoning

This happens to me whenever my wife cooks
__________________
Captain Shrimpy
100 ton master captain
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.