NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Brown Trout Mayhem (5/6/17) - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 05-09-2017, 11:02 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Brown Trout Mayhem (5/6/17)

Given the crappy weather at the end of the week, I was not planning to fish Saturday. I was going to run errands and get some stuff done around the house. However, after I woke up, I changed my mind. I decided to say screw the chores and go fishing instead. I'm glad I did.

I didn't end up arriving at the river and getting started until about 2:30pm. It didn't take long to get the first fish in the net: a beautiful wild brown around 13 inches.

The action was pretty steady after the first fish, and I quickly landed and released a small brown and a stockie rainbow. I hit a particular run that tends to hold nice browns, and today it didn't disappoint. My lure got whacked and the fish screamed drag and tailwalked across the river. After a short fight, I slipped the net under a 16" wild brown.

I fished a little further, and had a few more hits. I decided to hit one more spot before I called it a day.

The next spot was on fire. The brown trout were very aggressive. I had many hits, jumped a few off and landed a bunch of fish. I was working my way through the last spot of the day when a big trout swiped and missed my lure. I fired it right back to the same spot and the fish crushed the lure. This was definitely the fish of the day, and after fighting and chasing the fish around, I got the brown in the net. It taped out at 18" and was a fatty.

I released on more little brown before I left. I ended the day with 8 browns and 1 rainbow to the net, jumped a few off and had a bunch of hits that didn't hook up. All in all, not bad for an afternoon trip. Gotta love those browns!
Old 05-09-2017, 11:27 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Brown Trout Mayhem (5/6/17)

Nice fish again JD...what lure were you using if you don't mind me asking?
Old 05-09-2017, 11:27 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Nice Brownies!! Feel free to pm me the area you were fishing......

I had similar results yesterday. Although the biggest I caught was only 10-12", they were super aggressive!! I must have caught over 15 and lost at least a half dozen shortly after hooking up. With the good flows, they were hitting in shallow fast water, deep holes, and anything in between. I love when they grab it and shoot 2-3 ft out of the water instantly. HATE if when I see my lure go flying out at the same time!!!! Lost easily the biggest of the day this way. Saw his head come out of the water and before I could say OH SHEEET, he was off........
Old 05-09-2017, 12:02 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

i think your handle should be changed to JD Brown Trout....nice work again...
Old 05-09-2017, 12:20 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJerzyG View Post
Nice Brownies!! Feel free to pm me the area you were fishing......

I had similar results yesterday. Although the biggest I caught was only 10-12", they were super aggressive!! I must have caught over 15 and lost at least a half dozen shortly after hooking up. With the good flows, they were hitting in shallow fast water, deep holes, and anything in between. I love when they grab it and shoot 2-3 ft out of the water instantly. HATE if when I see my lure go flying out at the same time!!!! Lost easily the biggest of the day this way. Saw his head come out of the water and before I could say OH SHEEET, he was off........
Thanks dude. Yeah, that happens a lot with them.

Haha, I'll narrow it down...I was in New Jersey.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:20 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcritch View Post
Nice fish again JD...what lure were you using if you don't mind me asking?
Check your pm.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:43 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Brown Trout Mayhem (5/6/17)

Beautiful Brown trouser Trouts man! They are tough as nails when it comes to stream fish! Great colors on those wilds as always!!!
Old 05-10-2017, 05:15 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Brown Trout Mayhem (5/6/17)

DAYUM !!! Nice Browns !!!