NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Edgemont pond, Montclair - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 09-25-2017, 11:54 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Edgemont pond, Montclair

Between classes and commuting to school, I sneak some fishing in at this wonderful pond.

Last semester I used to score mostly pumpkinseeds and a few bullheads and dink bass.

On my return to school I planned on slaying pumpkins on a tiny 1/80 oz jig, but nothing hit for 10 minutes until I get to the "bass spot" in a corner of a lil bridge. Catch a bass that I've probably caught three times last semester; it really likes that spot.

Another day I meet a dude that fishes the pond often and shows me pics of some BREEDERS that the town must have put in for a derby. I'm convinced and start fishing bass stuff while I mostly fished for sunnies.

Good thing because I've been landing some of the larrys

That sickly looking koi/carp I posted months ago is also still cruising around- can't wait till she's hungry for a jig.

Day 1: started off with a nice bass but not the breeder I was looking for. Texas rigged worm worked. I hook up again and nail a breeder. I'm super excited till I see that the hook was in its further down its mouth and in a gill. No picture since poor guy was bleeding.

Day 2: no sign of a belly up breeder so I'm hoping the nice bass survived. Meet the local dude again and he's fishing for bass. Gives up underneath that lil bridge while he swore he had something.

5 cast later, swiping my cast between the water and bridge, I let the jig sit for a longer time and something picks it up. Fish on and not a second later the bass breaks surface and I see the biggie. Shout my friend over and he can't believe I caught it while it wasn't biting his jig before it.

Later he connects up and gets a better one. Some kids sharing a pole come got to see it and we gave em some tackle and tips.

My net came in handy that day...

This morning I did the same. Worked a floating rapala all over the pond and only had sunnies strike it. Rarely. So I went to a marabou jig and waited even longer just to get a bullhead. PB however.

And then called it a day when this one hooks up, out of a spot I've never gotten a bass out of before.

I'll post my future catches from the pond here in this thread

One day a few months ago a crappie was caught by another friend of mine. And it's been confusing the heck outta me because out of all the different fish I've caught there I never hooked a crappie.

Highly recommended anyone who fishes Verona or Barbour's pond to check this pond out.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:00 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Edgemont pond, Montclair

nice catch
Old 09-25-2017, 05:33 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Very nice!
Old 09-26-2017, 08:12 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Great fish, man! Looks like you have a nice honey hole.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:03 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Talking Re: Edgemont pond, Montclair

Good fishin' buddy! Those little ponds sure can pack a punch! Looks like a great little honey hole.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:17 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Edgemont Pond was completely lowered & dredged in 2013.

In August & October 2013, NJDF&W stocked it with Largemouth Bass, & Bluegill Sunfish.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:31 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I love it, going to school, and fishing between classes. One smart kid right there!!! Keep up the good work.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:58 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
Edgemont Pond was completely lowered & dredged in 2013.

In August & October 2013, NJDF&W stocked it with Largemouth Bass, & Bluegill Sunfish.
Thanks for the info Mark, Ive heard it was drained from local park-goers.

Definitely more than just bass and bluegill- heck bluegill are rare compared to the pumpkin seeds I catch. I've also seen some big turtles. I wonder how they made it back?