NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Mt. Hope Pond 4/27/17 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 04-27-2017, 02:06 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Mt. Hope Pond 4/27/17

My work schedule was changed so I had off today and decided to take a morning trip to Mt. Hope Pond. It was only my second time there, and if you've never been there before I recommend you take a trip for the scenery alone, it's a beautiful pond. The water was really clear and was crawling with small sunnies all along the shoreline. I rolled in around 7:30 and fished for an hour before seeing anything else.

Around 8:30 I was tying on a different lure when I saw what had to be a three and a half pound largie. He swam off into the deep and never even nibbled at my line.

I was getting discouraged. I had only fished here once prior to this, but I spent 4 hours fishing without a single bite that day, I was hoping today wouldn't be a repeat of that. My co-worker had given me 2 1/6 ounce rooster tails in a chartruce/green colorway which he claimed the trout loved. After about 10 casts I was hooked up with this beautiful 12 inch rainbow. He fought hard, or at least it felt like he did on my 4'6" Fenwick HMG with a Daiwa Outback 500 loaded with 4 pound test. A few theatrical jumps later, I took a quick picture, unhooked him and off into the water he went.

This pond seems like its a very healthy fishery, I had a great time. I know after Memorial Day a beach opens up to the public, so I'm sure it will be more pressured after that. If you can get up there before then I'd absolutely recommend it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-04-27 at 2.05.55 PM.jpg (13.6 KB, 345 views)
Old 04-27-2017, 02:12 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Re: Mt. Hope Pond 4/27/17

Love that pond. That pond was the first place I ever fished at. There is a pretty healthy population of largemouth in there. Just be careful of your surrounding when fishing there since bears will roam around the pond, also there is a population of snakes there too.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:14 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Mt. Hope Pond 4/27/17

To me there is no better spinner than Rooster Tail, others will disagree.
Try yellow if you can get your hands on one. Nice trout !
Old 04-27-2017, 08:26 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I think the large mouth are getting ready to bed- the lakes by me there chasing each other from deep to shallow- and starting to sit in some shallow spots-
Pretty place- +1 on the yellow color.

How do you like the fenwick/ diawa? I'm still on the ugly stick : pfluegers for now
Old 04-28-2017, 09:15 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

ifish & Andy thanks for the tips!!

23cardinal - I love them. I have been using the 4'6" almost exclusively this season and ive had a great time, everything feels like its huge!
Old 04-28-2017, 04:19 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Mt. Hope Pond 4/27/17

I used Ugly Stick for the LONGEST time, double footed eyelet. I said there is no way I can fish a light graphite rod and a single footed eyelet and not break it.
Well I did the switch, broke a few tips off but I'm doing good, never going back to the heavy fiberglass rods.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:49 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I thought I killed that pond by my blog posts. Felt guilty as hell as all the web traffic came on. Made me really question my journalism training. But I think plenty of good bass are there & words will never harm them. Coming from me, just put them back, please!