NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Campers at the Stear?? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 06-01-2019, 03:26 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Campers at the Stear??

I was fishing up at the Stear with pops on Monday Memorial Day and were hitting the shoreline on the opposite side of the launch. At one point we came across a docked canoe and saw a couple people camping in the woods just off the water??

Looked like they had a decent camp setup, including a large ( 10 man? ) tent!! Not just the "hanging out for the day" type, lol. Anyone else see this? Were they there all weekend? Thoughts?

Can't say I haven't thought about it but didn't think it was worth the risk. Also seems like a good step toward getting access restricted............
Old 06-03-2019, 11:15 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Campers at the Stear??

Just like Split Rock Res, people in every corner. One year coming down the North Branch on a float trip saw a bunch of teens camping in the woods. If they enjoy the outdoors and don't trash the place, no harm no foul ??
Old 06-03-2019, 05:13 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: Campers at the Stear??

There used to be some guys camping out at Monksville as well. It turns out they were poachers and had gill nets in the water that they were pulling at night. They also had a canoe on the shore and a larger tent. The Law was called, they caught them and their gear was confiscated, but who says they aren't back at a new location.

Keep a close eye on this, if you see them again, call the cops as it may not be so innocent. They are stealing everyone's fish.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:32 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I'm all for enjoying the outdoors, but I also feel like there's plenty of places to camp and fish legally that won't cause potential issues for all the others that use it. I thought I saw at least one guy and a youngster so again, all for getting them outside but also, should be teaching them rules and regulations in the meantime no??

I also considered they could be there poaching. Didn't really stick around to observe but it wasn't the typical bucket brigade. And hey, if your willing to trespass, why not fish through the night (which isn't allowed) and maybe keep a "few" extra fish right?!?!?!
Old 06-04-2019, 06:55 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJerzyG View Post
I'm all for enjoying the outdoors, but I also feel like there's plenty of places to camp and fish legally that won't cause potential issues for all the others that use it. I thought I saw at least one guy and a youngster so again, all for getting them outside but also, should be teaching them rules and regulations in the meantime no??
I would call it in. a few bad apples spoil it for everyone
Old 06-06-2019, 06:58 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

not just the stear but all of the sheds seem to be more crowded this year. Last Wednesday I got to Clinton and the lot was full, same for Oak Ridge the previous week on Tuesday. Anyone else notice this.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:08 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I once came upon a guy full out squatting between the GSP and the Rahway River. It was obvious the guy had been living there for some time. Of all the places to illegally squat this location seemed very strange but I am more in the live and let live camp so I let it go. For all I know he is still there.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:39 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I'm not a big fan of stumbling upon "camps in the woods" that are off the normal campsite area. Often they are used by partyers and cookers. Neither of which I want to run into while fishing.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:56 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I happen to have a few pictures of the Rahway River campsite I stumbled upon. To be honest, I still don’t know quite what to make of it.

[