NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Updated Trout Stocked Waters - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 03-08-2019, 08:07 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Updated Trout Stocked Waters

The Ken Lockwood Gorge a 2 1/2 mile stretch of NO KILL river will get 2,750 trout this spring. I know of 2 guides off the top of my head that take their clients there and get paid big $$$. I think Crisper said it best when he mentioned "special interest" groups. This stretch of river will again be graced with yet another boat load of trout in the fall.
You want to ask a question, ask when the leases run out with these fishing clubs on NJ rivers.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:49 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Updated Trout Stocked Waters

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
The Ken Lockwood Gorge a 2 1/2 mile stretch of NO KILL river will get 2,750 trout this spring. I know of 2 guides off the top of my head that take their clients there and get paid big $$$. I think Crisper said it best when he mentioned "special interest" groups. This stretch of river will again be graced with yet another boat load of trout in the fall.
You want to ask a question, ask when the leases run out with these fishing clubs on NJ rivers.
Calm there, gonna give yourself a hemorrhoid. Why worry so much over 2 1/2 miles. Plenty of other places that get as many or more fish. But that isn't it. You just have a hard on cause it's a special regs zone and you don't like that it is. News flash, just cause YOU don't like it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it getting stocked. I'm sure there can be found someone out there that doesn't like some place you like that is stocked. Again that would not warrant them suggesting cessation of stocking in your favorite place, would it. Nope. My goodness the incessant wining gets old.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:28 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

In my experiences, I would say that 95% + of NJ anglers catch & release all freshwater fish, including trout.

Too much hassle cleaning / preparing them.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:52 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
In my experiences, I would say that 95% + of NJ anglers catch & release all freshwater fish, including trout.

Too much hassle cleaning / preparing them.
I do but I'm planning on yapping one before the season closes. Holdovers taste better than fresh stockers.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:20 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drossi View Post
I do but I'm planning on yapping one before the season closes. Holdovers taste better than fresh stockers.
Agreed, the 10" spring fish are nothing but bones and they taste like liver and/or mud. By now the fall stockers are meaty and delicious.
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube
Old 03-09-2019, 06:44 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWole View Post
Remove trout stocking from the urban/public ponds. Trout are taken before opening day, people fishing without licenses.
The conservation officers are spread thin enough and can not patrol the entire state every day. This
stock fish in urban areas plan to try to increase interest or license sales does
not work but yet some good lakes in Sussex, Morris and Passaic Counties
have been dropped from stocking over the years.
Urban youth get to try something new. License sales and interest in fishing does increase. Old guys like myself don't have to drive far to fish. As much poaching is going on in the sticks. Sometimes even more. The defense rest, your snobbiness.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:09 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by toghead View Post
Urban youth get to try something new. License sales and interest in fishing does increase. Old guys like myself don't have to drive far to fish. As much poaching is going on in the sticks. Sometimes even more. The defense rest, your snobbiness.
Amen, brother!!
Old 03-10-2019, 11:12 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

[QUOTE=RWole;526002]Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Last time I checked we live in a great nation that allows us to do so.
I have no objection to stocking urban park ponds with catfish,bluegills, or
any other variety of panfish. I just do not beleive trout should be stocked.
I also would never want to take the opportunity for a kid to fish away ever.
Fact is many of these park ponds that are trout stocked, adults without licenses
take the trout before the season even starts and yes this happens often.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:47 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWole View Post
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Last time I checked we live in a great nation that allows us to do so.
I have no objection to stocking urban park ponds with catfish,bluegills, or
any other variety of panfish. I just do not beleive trout should be stocked.
I also would never want to take the opportunity for a kid to fish away ever.
Fact is many of these park ponds that are trout stocked, adults without licenses
take the trout before the season even starts and yes this happens often.
You're right that park ponds get abused (by birds and people), but if the surveys show that on opening day, people are catching trout and having a good time, f&w are doing things right. I dont look at the surveys so dont know myself.

Worst case scenario: pond is stocked, it then gets abused by birds and people before opening day during the three weeks prior, opening day arrives; new trout anglers try out trout fishing there, they have a bad experience then never buy a trout stamp again.

What if park ponds didn't have the three week closure? They're free to fish after stocking just like fall? Would this fix that?
Old 03-10-2019, 08:50 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Updated Trout Stocked Waters

I grew up in Kearny New Jersey for a while and fished the big pond in the park. I cut my teeth on carp and catfish, I didn't know what a stocked trout was until I was 40, so who are all the "kids" that need stocked trout ?
When you think of the word trout, images of cool clear mountain streams come to mind, not the local duck pond.