NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

mixed bag in sussex co - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 04-30-2016, 06:46 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default mixed bag in sussex co

i went to a lake in sussex county today and caught a mixed bag of fish.the day got off to a bad start.i get there and realize i left my paddle home,so i used a trenching shovel for a paddle good thing i left it in my jeep.it was somewhat windy and partly cloudy.i went to a spot in the middle where there is a mussel bed on a hump next to deep water. caught 4 stink pans, two perch and 3 crappies. spot #2 produced somewhat of same.then back to spot #1 got two more crappies and of course a slime dart. all fish were small and released back.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:34 PM
Banned

Default Re: mixed bag in sussex co

Mixed bag fishing is the best kind. Good report also.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:40 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Im pretty sure i was on the same lake...the pickerel were everywhere.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:58 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Had the afternoon free after kids baseball and soccer, so I too had the pleasure of fishing a lake in Sussex County. Based on the description, it doesn't sound like the same lake you gents were on. The lake I was on starts with "Little" and ends with "wood". I arrived for the late afternoon bite at about the same time the morning boats were calling it a day. Guys seemed to have had some success, although not with trout, go figure. I managed 3 nice crappie with tons of misses and a chunky Larry, see pic. Water temps were fairly consistent around 59 degrees. First time fishing this body of water so I spent a fair amount of time on a lazy troll while specing out underneath with my new wireless Deeper fish/depth finder. Seems like some good depth and changes in some spots, would suspect this place can support holdover trout? Many of them were hanging tight to the bottom in better than 30ft of water, maybe due to the approaching front. Nice place but a hell of a ride from Bergen County for just a few of hours of fishing. Will have to revisit when the Daddy-do list doesn't eat up half my day. Tite Linez y'all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Little_Swartswood_LMB.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	95441  
Old 05-01-2016, 06:32 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

that lake is not bad icefishing. olny fished it twice on the open water. there's a eagles nesting area that is closed to fishing,i was able to fish there before the nest was there,i caught some nice perch there.nice job on the largemouth.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:03 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

The lake that starts with little I don't live far from maybe 15minutes. Believe it not it has some really big eels in it. It is also stocked with muskies. I've caught quite a few perch through the ice also