NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

great striper contest at the cong. - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 07-15-2019, 08:27 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default great striper contest at the cong.

seems the stripers knew there was a contest this weekend and put the feed bag on.my son and i left the dock at 5am and headed to the grounds with high hopes.we were drifting herring and were not set uo for 10 minutes when we had our first run off that turned into a fat 19 inch striper.we start talking about the "kiss of death" when you land a fish in the first 10 minutes and never have another hit all day but that was cleared a half hour later when we had 2 runs off at once.we landed both ,one at 7.3lbs and mine at 6.6lbs.thats the way it went,fish here a fish there until 9am when all hell broke loose.we were the only boat fishing this spot at the time and i am very very glad we were.the stripers
came up chasing bait 20 yards away.they were smashing the water and those herring were jumping for their lives.we were just sitting there taking all this in when all 4 rods go off at once.talk about a sh$t show.must have looked like 2
men with both left feet dancing.i got one in but my son got both his in and if you striper fish you know how tuff that can be.none were as big as the 2 in the live well so all were released.after taking a few minutes and laughing we get everything squared away and start another drift.i know this is going to sound like a real"fish" story but half way thru this drift the came up again.not
as hot and heavy this time but 2 rods went off and both fish landed again and released.its now about 10:30 and the lake is starting to look and act like a washing machine with all the boats so we call it a morning.we meet back up at 5:30pm and head out to see if the afternoon bite will be as good.we fished till 9:30pm ans all we had was a 7lb walleye{nice fish} and a few bullheads.
sunday morning arrives and we leave the dock at 5am again.we head back to
were we had them the morning before.we get set up and bang i hook up.we were not there 5 minutes and the first striper was netted and released.we did not have the fishing we had the day before but we did pick at them all morning and i got one that was 8lbs even and good enough for 3rd place.my son's 7.3lbs held on for 6th.a big thank you to your friends at the end of nolans point rd who had the shop open early and ready.good times and a great club.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:51 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: great striper contest at the cong.

Good job bunker dunker. I saw a photo of your fish and looks big and healthy too. Glad the HAB didn't scare too many fisherman from the cong.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:25 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

thanks Ppete,all was good
Old 07-15-2019, 05:25 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

sounds like you two were into them good congrats to you both on making the board. i was out on sat nite and did not get any waldos but did get a decent hybrid figures i fish for walleye and catch hybrids go figure
Old 07-16-2019, 07:24 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

at least ya got out Badger.we had good fishing both days.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:38 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

That sounds like a blast, very nice!

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek