NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

How to set up your trailer....? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 07-09-2014, 09:48 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default How to set up your trailer....?

Have a 14 ft starcraft aluminum boat and always seems like I have a hard time getting the boat up on the trailer. One of my questions is , is the boat supposed to just be rolling on the rollers or sliding on the bunks or both. I've been doing it for so long that I get it on and off pretty quick but as I'm getting a little older and have some neck/back issues was wondering if there is an easier way? YA KNOW WORK SMARTER NOT HARDER!!!
My trailer has two three ft bunks and three rollers basically front middle and back. Can any body offer any advice as to how to set it up to make loading and unloading a bit easier for myself. Thanks.......

16 Ft Princecraft DLX
9.9 Johnson
HELIX 7 Si GPS
Old 07-10-2014, 10:01 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: How to set up your trailer....?

One way is get more water under the boat before launching or retrieving. Can use the side bunk style guides to line up aft part of boat.

Or...Probably overkill.

We had that with some of the sea tow boats we salvaged and put on our trailers.

We rigged a power wench. The wench cable was run to a pulley 3/4 way aft on trailer and then clipped to the trailer eye. In this system the wench retrieval would pull the boat backwards off trailer.

We had a second wench to do normal forward pullings on to the trailer.

Getting old does suck. But still beat the alternative.
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber

Last edited by Capt. Debbie; 07-10-2014 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: additional ideas
Old 07-10-2014, 04:04 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

A 14' Aluminum should float off easily, as Framk suggested back in further to float rig . Check bunk & rollers for contact & any rotating issues !
U can always attach line to stern & help boat back off. .
I feel dipping in more can get it going easily , I use to back down apply brakes sharply & that sudden stop would dump boat , just make dam sure u have a line tethered to boat & trailer ! If u have a buddy no issue , alone u will be swimming after boat .
That line should be easily accessed by u on trailer .
Coming up to mount get in deeper or a PW set up save the day !
One other suggestion prior to submerging give each wheel bearing a shot of lube , u can throw grease if u have long tow they heat & spill grease !
With light boat like that u should be able to get on off with little effort !
Old 07-10-2014, 08:02 PM
NJFishing.com Member

There are some pretty cheap wireless remote winchs on the market.
That's half the battle.
Second half is keeping the boat straight in the water with wind and tides.
I have occasionally tied a line to the windward side dock cleat to hold my boat centered in the ramp. (Of course you need a dock on both sides of the ramp).

Keep a long pole and a boat hook on your tow rig.

When launching, before getting fully into water, I unhook the winch line and tie a line from the bow, through the trailer winch post to a front stake pocket of my truck: leaving a bit of slack if the ramp is not too steep.

Back up, let boat float off the trailer pull forward a bit.
Transfer the line to the dock.

I've also stopped trying to keep my feet dry.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:26 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Yea I hear that! Wet feet suck HAHAHA! I have no isssue launching either solo or with someone Long bow rope is def the deal. I know I haven't greased the rollers in a very long time and I'm sure that will help some what. I think I am going to lower the bunks a little bit also and see if that makes it any easier to retrieve. If I understand it correctly the boat should roll on the rollers only and the bunks are just for support from side to side. When I crank it up now its on the rollers and dragging on the bunks as well. Thanks for the advice.

16 Ft Princecraft DLX
9.9 Johnson
HELIX 7 Si GPS
Old 05-24-2015, 02:35 AM
NJFishing.com Member

I trailer my 21' Trophy, it weighs close to 3500 lbs loaded. I have a bunk trailer, with hand winch and often launch/load alone. Years ago, I bought Teflon skid plates for the bunks, basically 5"x10"x1/2" thick white plastic pre drilled plates, I think 8 or 10 to a package. Space them out on the bunks and it makes launching dry or on shallow ramps much easier. Same for loading onto the trailer. I found a link for you to check.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/E-Z-S...ads/737191.uts

They worked so well for me that when my original trailer rotted out last yr, I transferred them to the new bunks first chance I got.

Good luck and tight lines