NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Ramp in Belmar NJ - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 02-01-2010, 05:18 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Ramp in Belmar NJ

Anyone on the board familiar with/use the ramp near Bry's Marine in Belmar? Looking to move my boat to that area and have heard the ramp can be an issue at low tide etc. Possibly a significant drop off at the bottom? Watched a few boats launch at end of season last year and didn't seem to be too bad, a little steeper than the public/pay per use ramp down near the marina. Also wondering about the clearance under the train bridge on that side of the inlet. Have heard it is tight at high tide and may need to use the channel and swing around by the pary boats. I have a 23 1/2 ft walk around with a bimini. Thanks in advance for any input!
Old 02-01-2010, 06:43 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Ramp in Belmar NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkyispy
Anyone on the board familiar with/use the ramp near Bry's Marine in Belmar? Looking to move my boat to that area and have heard the ramp can be an issue at low tide etc. Possibly a significant drop off at the bottom? Watched a few boats launch at end of season last year and didn't seem to be too bad, a little steeper than the public/pay per use ramp down near the marina. Also wondering about the clearance under the train bridge on that side of the inlet. Have heard it is tight at high tide and may need to use the channel and swing around by the pary boats. I have a 23 1/2 ft walk around with a bimini. Thanks in advance for any input!

Ramp there is tough with that size boat at low tide as the concrete ends before the trailer is in.
rest of tides its plenty deep., have seen more than one boat with its wheels stuck behind the concrete after boat is trailered.
ALOT of current there so you really have to watch the metal band on the outside piling.
We usually run out the channel on the south side where the party boats are located..
I like that ramp alot better than the municple one.

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Old 02-01-2010, 03:03 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I was launching a 23 foot inboard CC mako there and never had problems with depth. You just have to be careful. I did have to anchor and wait one day on extremely low tide, because i knew it woudl be a problem , but It would be a problem at the municipal one too.

The current can be a bitch when it is ripping especially when you have to wait in line on a weekend.

It is steep, but as long as you are smart and chuck you wheels etc you will be fine. One other pain is the fact you are pulling across a public road to back down in while it is not extremely busy it can become a pain in mid summer, People have no patience.

Just don't be in a rush and it will be fine. to many people are in a rush at the ramp and end up taking longer. I prefer to pull my boat on and can do this quicker than the guy that spends 2-3 mins running it up backing down running up. LOL With inboard it decreased my risk of hitting shaft on rollers, and now I am just used to it.. I just grab bow line pull straight and climb and winch. I could launch both boats solo this way so it makes it nice.

As for clearance under short cut I would say it is probably better to eye it up yourself, but to be safe go around by Party boats. I barely fit under with my small CC at extreme high tide I have actually had to take rods out of holders. LOL

Last edited by DMac; 02-01-2010 at 03:06 PM..
Old 02-01-2010, 06:48 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thanks for the tips on the ramp guys. Guess it will just be a matter of timing with the tide. I have an electric winch so I'm good with letting it pull the boat on the trailer as needed. Was wondering how that road would work out with traffic if the lot across the street fills up to pull into. How long is the ride typically around the channel to the boats? Can't imagine it's that long and is it no wake all the way around or just near the docks/boats?
Old 02-01-2010, 06:57 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

never had a problem launching at brys with a 20'

the municipal ramp is another story with pot holes
Old 02-01-2010, 07:21 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkyispy
Thanks for the tips on the ramp guys. Guess it will just be a matter of timing with the tide. I have an electric winch so I'm good with letting it pull the boat on the trailer as needed. Was wondering how that road would work out with traffic if the lot across the street fills up to pull into. How long is the ride typically around the channel to the boats? Can't imagine it's that long and is it no wake all the way around or just near the docks/boats?

Once you get out of launch you can run over to belmar side full trottle and then from there to inlet is no wake. not bad though at 6mph only takes a few minutes I find that a good time to have my fishing buddies finish getting stuff rigged and get all bait organized etc.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:18 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMac
Once you get out of launch you can run over to belmar side full trottle and then from there to inlet is no wake. not bad though at 6mph only takes a few minutes I find that a good time to have my fishing buddies finish getting stuff rigged and get all bait organized etc.

same here,
the run out to the inlet after going through the train bridge actually takes longer than it does from the ramp to the bridges.

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club