NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Caught Out In a Storm - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 09-05-2014, 02:25 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Caught Out In a Storm

Was fishing with an old friend yesterday talking about the freak storm we got caught in several years ago on a Canyon Runner Tuna Charter.

We were 80 miles or so out in the Canyon trolling when the Captain gets a weather Twix that a freak storm had developed in costal Delaware and was charging up the coast. Captain said pull the lines and lets head for home.

I'm up in the bridge area on the run in thinking to myself, this ain't so bad. Then I saw it... A big wall on the radar screen so I ask the captain, what is that? He says the storm and it looks nasty. You should go down off the bridge, go in the cabin to let the others know, secure all your stuff so it does not bounce around and hold on.

About 25 miles off the beach all hell breaks loose and we are in the teeth of the storm..20 foot seas with frothy tops on them running every which way. It felt like we were a cork in a washing machine. Could not sit anywhere because you'd get tossed on to the floor so we sat on the floor and were still getting tossed all over the place and would come up off the floor as we ran off the top of the waves.

It was like nothing I had ever seen and certainly ever been in... Took us a few hours, which seemed like days to make the last 20 or so miles or so. Our Captain had called the Coast Guard and we had to check in every 5 minutes or so to make sure we were safe.

They actually closed the inlet that afternoon and 2 boats actually were not as lucky as us sank. Here are some articles about that day, one I will never forget.
Had we lost an engine or rudder we might have met the same fate.

Really have to hand it to Captain Charlie and Adam Larosa who was the mate at the time for getting us back safe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	75519  

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 09-05-2014, 09:57 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Caught Out In a Storm

When you say several: was that about 14-15 years ago ? If so ... I was heading back out in the end of the slop after the blow with still good 15-18' ers- no bueno, but it laid down and I landed my largest eyeball on the chunk that night- won't mention the commercial captain but I was saying wtf!!! The whole way out- this was on a 38' Duffy and I got to pilot it out most of the way- again no bueno- think safe!! Glad it worked out for ya! I do like the site a lot...
www.quality1stcompanies.com
Old 09-08-2014, 12:43 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

You remember you first big one. mine was 13-14 seas and 40 knots 18 miles. We were 30 miles off and ran until the weather and seas got us 18 miles out.

You steer and throttle up and down with every damn wave. Was on only a 32 footer I was running.

You remember that one. It's both a blessing and a curse.

A blessing because you know what to expect. And a curse because you know what to expect. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfish28 View Post
When you say several: was that about 14-15 years ago ? If so ... I was heading back out in the end of the slop after the blow with still good 15-18' ers- no bueno, but it laid down and I landed my largest eyeball on the chunk that night- won't mention the commercial captain but I was saying wtf!!! The whole way out- this was on a 38' Duffy and I got to pilot it out most of the way- again no bueno- think safe!! Glad it worked out for ya! I do like the site a lot...
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber

Last edited by Capt. Debbie; 09-09-2014 at 10:14 AM..
Old 09-10-2014, 03:51 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Smile Re: Caught Out In a Storm

Was a mate on a 42 foot Bertram in 1989 , we had a wave come through the fly bridge took me 30 minutes just to let go of the rail ! Will never forget that day for the rest of my life.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:12 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

D - The storm was in 1995 and I wanna say it was late August but not 100% sure.

BC - Taking one over the fly bridge and a big Bert

I love Franks's line "A blessing because you know what to expect. And a curse because you know what to expect"

Some crazy stuff can happen out there... Thank God we all lived to talk about it.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area