NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

India Brook 6/12/15 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 06-12-2015, 10:55 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default India Brook 6/12/15

Fished from about 7 to sunset. Caught a nice rainbow who had nice fins and color. Also caught a decent sized wild brown (about 8-9") who found a way to swallow a size 8 Gamakatsu Octopus Circle Hook. I thought those hooks were designed to hook the fish in the jaw. Anyway, I cut the line and let him go so he could grow.

Around sunset something was hatching on the surface and it was an experience watching 4-5" wild browns hit the flies in water barely up to my shin.

I have fished India Brook 3 times so far this year and have caught plenty of stocked rainbows and wild browns, but no brookies. According to the NJ coldwater fisheries plan, brook trout reproduce in India Brook. I was curious if anyone has caught brookies in this stream recently.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150605_090525_comp.jpg
Views:	1213
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	84165   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150612_192151_comp.jpg
Views:	977
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	84166  
Old 06-13-2015, 12:24 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: India Brook 6/12/15

Up on the headwaters of the headwaters !!!
Old 06-13-2015, 07:43 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: India Brook 6/12/15

They're in there pretty good. Check out the Passaic river headwaters as well. Some very nice fish in both of those pristine streams.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:51 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

According to my lifetime records, in 58 trips to India Brook between 1981 and 2010(I'm a little behind in updating. lol) only 15 brook trout caught. Unlike most streams, India gets a bit warmer the further you go upstream due to a few small ponds which dump warm water into it. There are a few very small tribs which hold brook trout but I'm talking barely over a foot wide. As is the case throughout NJ in streams having both species, browns dominate if not completely replace brook trout unless a barrier - natural or man made - separates them. An example would be Trout Brook in Hacklebarney. Both species below the falls but only brookies above. Only stream I know of with a good balance of both is the SBRR(above the gorge Middle Valley on up)) where my lifetime records(again going back 34 years) indicate 29% brook/71% brown or about 3:1 ratio. Some trips its nearly all browns and some trips its 50-50. Rarely is it mostly brook. Most of ther SBRR tribs hold brookies with less holding browns and even fewer wild bows.

Last edited by buzzbaiter; 06-13-2015 at 08:56 AM..
Old 06-13-2015, 09:08 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Both streams have gone waaay down hill. They warm up way to much and the populations of wt are decreasing. Both are reduced to barely a trickle in another week or two. Same hatches happening on on the Black River and South Branch with much bigger fish and its only another 10 mins down rt 24. Maybe Buzzbaiter can share some facts on them or some of his un named great wts!
Old 06-13-2015, 09:51 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

The India brook has ran dry at least 5 out of the last 10 years. Then the floods that have happened really sent those wild trout for a ride. It's sad to have them disappear. Such cute little morsels. Even cuter with a 5/0 hook through there back.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:50 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks for the info guys. Today I'm going to give the SBR headwaters a shot in Flanders
Old 06-13-2015, 02:02 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by americandesi View Post
Also caught a decent sized wild brown (about 8-9") who found a way to swallow a size 8 Gamakatsu Octopus Circle Hook. I thought those hooks were designed to hook the fish in the jaw. Anyway, I cut the line and let him go so he could grow.
Unfortunately, many octopus circle hooks are true circle hooks. They are actually offset, and will gut hook a fish just like a J hook. Look for circle hooks that say "non-offset" on the package. The point of the hook should line up with the shaft. These will very rarely deeply hook a fish.

Nice fish!!!
Old 06-14-2015, 05:20 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTEDDIE29 View Post
The India brook has ran dry at least 5 out of the last 10 years. Then the floods that have happened really sent those wild trout for a ride. It's sad to have them disappear. Such cute little morsels. Even cuter with a 5/0 hook through there back.
Both places USED to be worth but unfortunately lots of press has upped the pressure and both are hardly worth a yawn
Old 06-14-2015, 05:33 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I would suggest going with real light tackle. A 3wt 5' to 6' fly rod (shufly makes a great rod for $99), 7x or even 8x tippet. Pick a day where the stream may be a little tinted. Presentation will be everything, especially on narrow streams where the fish are easy to spook.