NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

proline 251 repower questions ? need advise or answers - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 05-13-2017, 10:48 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: proline 251 repower questions ? need advise or answers

I,have seen a few demo 300 hp,with less then 50 hours on them for a great price. If you have dealer willing it install may be an option. Tough call,but either way will be a great motor!
Old 05-14-2017, 07:10 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

i thought about that , but with outboards proper break in procedures should be followed. i look at it this way they throw the engine on take a customer out and show them them power and stuff right from the gate. which to me they most likely werent broken in properly. there for the cylinders may be compromised or something else id rather get new and break it in the way the manufacture suggest, then i know things were done right and if a problem arises, i can tell the the dealer and warrenties should be guarenteed
Old 05-14-2017, 07:29 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Hey Bass - Great advice above.....Suzuki, Etec or Yamaha would be my choice....Here's a link for a guy selling twin 300 Suzuki's with low hours... Maybe he'd just sell you one?

http://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95030 looks like he includes the controls but they for twins so you'd need to check into that.

As far as installation and rigging, if you buy brand new many will include it in with the price of the engines...

Early spring is also the time that Suzuki usually has there extended warranty promotion but I think that ended 4/29

My suggestion is to stick with one of these 3 brands, shop your best deal and purchase the one that has the better deal combined with the local dealer you feel most comfortable with.

Best of luck in your search and I think you'll be very pleased by swapping out the Mercury two stroke especially if you upgrade to a newer technology 250 or 300.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 05-14-2017 at 10:30 AM..
Old 05-14-2017, 08:14 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

thanks gerry, i bought the boat in 2011 , for a good price ! the merc came with it i took it out three times then got towed in for a shot alternator. thank god i had see tow cause it was a 20 mile tow ! replaced alt and went out a few more times then had more problems , been battling problems ever since . i finally came across some money to take care of this once and for all (at least for a decent amount of time ) the boat is in great condition for the age . so my thoughts is i do not wanna put my trust into a used engine ! i wanna go brandnew with warrenty ! i wanna make sure i break the engine in the way it should be . i just dont wanna spend a lot of money to have problems or someone elses headache ! i know i can have problems with a brandnew engine also which i am aware of but with a great warrenty and problems that persist i can turn to the manufacturer dealer or options like lemon law ect . id just feel more comfortable with brandnew
Old 05-15-2017, 05:30 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Don't blame you one bit... If you have the jing and that makes you feel more comfortable the by all means buy new.

One thing that is however different with the newer generation motors as far as purchasing used, with the correct software you can download a complete history of the engine, hours, hours at certain RPMs, temperature history etc... a lot more fool proof then it used to be.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 05-15-2017, 07:17 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

true , but you dont know how many times the oil was changed or other maintence. if it wasnt done by a professional and a do it your selfer did it, money is only money you cant take it when you die so enjoy the boat life while we are here on earth lol fish on!