NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

any merc ob machanics here ?? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 02-21-2014, 05:21 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default any merc ob machanics here ??

looking for a mechanic to answer my question i need someone who is certified and is experienced in rebuilding lower units to answer a ? for me
Old 02-21-2014, 05:31 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: any merc ob machanics here ??

i pulled the lower prop shaft out because i needed to replace some seals ,the first thing i did was get the bearing carrier out , then i pulled the nut from the pinion on main drive shaft got the drive out to replace bearing, then i pushed the prop shaft to port side and lifted the whole unit out , i replaced the seals on the carrier , put the shift lever in the unit to port side resting on the metal stops and reinstalled the prop shaft unit the same way i pulled it out , ! my question is how do i know the shift tab in the back of the prop shaft unit will engage in forward or neutral or reverse before i put the carrier back on ! is there ant special thing i have to do it does the unit simply slide down and rest on the shift tab
Old 02-24-2014, 12:49 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: any merc ob machanics here ??

ok , so the outcome for anyone wanting to know is the shift thin in the back needs to rest on the port side before putting gears back in , there is a precasted rest in the aluminum that it sits on ...put the gears and shaft back in ,bearing carrier retainer ring and wal-laa