NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

out board peeing prob? - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 03-17-2014, 02:09 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: out board peeing prob?

That sux!! What year engine?

Found this link for instructions on where and how to replace the Poppet valve on a OX66 Yamaha. Figuring (hoping) my 93 is similar. Will find out in a couple weeks I guess.

http://www.bbcboards.net/yamaha-moto...uctions**.html
Old 03-17-2014, 04:38 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by fin_s_guy View Post
That sux!! What year engine?

Found this link for instructions on where and how to replace the Poppet valve on a OX66 Yamaha. Figuring (hoping) my 93 is similar. Will find out in a couple weeks I guess.

http://www.bbcboards.net/yamaha-moto...uctions**.html
if you are referring to me , on the year for my engine its a 1996 merc efi , it wasnt bad at all to replace. had to remove half the mid cowl and it was right there! if the bolt wasnt so long wouldnt of even had to remove the cowl. but its done now and i just need to start to see if it fixed the problem.

as for d-fish , i cant believe the copper pipe wore out like that ! my pipe looks ok but the o-rings in the coupling are pretty bad i might replace those also just to get them done

i went on ebay and bought a repair manual for my engine ! its great and very detailed on how to repair assemble /disassemble but it doesnt tell you how to diagnose lol ! i just suspect or ask what it could be then refer back to manual to repair , even if it doesnt need repair but looks to be in need of repair soon i just do it and get it done anyway !!!

good luck fin you might find its not to bad !!!

Last edited by Bass_Appeal; 03-17-2014 at 04:40 PM..
Old 03-17-2014, 04:50 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

i forgot to mention how much money i saved doing most of my own stuff! when i first bought a boat it was an 83 renkin i was fixing up and the engine needed some work, it was an i/o so i called a mechanic, after 3 hours and saying this and that nothing was fixed and he wanted three hours pay ! i got pissed off gave him his money and told him never to come back. so i sold the boat and said the hell with that. went an bought my proline ...i was on the delaware river and my alt went on me. called seatow to haul me back ...got to my marina and started calling people to come look at it (not knowing it was my alt)after calling so many people and having them tell me its like 90-105 an hour but couldnt tell me how many hours it would take to figure the problem out ...i got even more mad !! a good mechanic should be able to diagnose in an hour then how ever many minutes to hrs to fix ...i bought the manual and started doin everything myself! come on forums to ask questions from knowledgable people like yourselves what it could be then work from there ...!! saved prob about 5000.00 or better on repair labor so far !!
Old 03-17-2014, 10:22 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Exactly, it's all about saving when you can. Was quoted over a grand for this part replacement One quite helpful thing I found is to get the seloc online manual for your specific engine it's like $30 for three years and always at your fingertips when you save as reading material- that way if you're for instance at work and want to read up... No need to bust out the book, computer,tablet,smart phone- all work. Best of luck guys, not trying to hijack anything just another one of those things within the realm. Splashtime is coming up fast!!
www.quality1stcompanies.com
Old 03-18-2014, 10:59 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Hey dfish....What kind of OB are you running?

Gustard Wood
Tidewater 216
Old 03-19-2014, 11:20 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScowardNJ View Post
Hey dfish....What kind of OB are you running?
'97 Johnson 200 oceanrunner : thirsty b$#ch!
www.quality1stcompanies.com
Old 03-23-2014, 11:39 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

update:.......so after replacing the thermos and the poppet , started it on sat ....put the muffs on and it was a very light stream ....so i cupped the muffs and got a very good result , it was peeing like a race horse , which didnt happen before i replaced the parts and cuppping the muffs ....the year before last i replaced the impellar and no need to cup the muffs so im gonna go ahead and replace the impellar again just to be on the safe side ....i have to pull down the unit anyway to replace the speedo connector i had purchased ....so it seems as if the poppet and thermos were the prob !!