NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Getting title for old boat? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 03-17-2014, 08:23 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Getting title for old boat?

I have a 12 ft Sears jon boat my dad bought about 1974 that I'd like to sell. I figure it would be a lot easier to sell if I had a title. But the serial number plate disappeared when the old transom rotted out. I've since replaced the rotted wood, but how do I go about getting title in NJ for a 40 year old boat with no serial number?

Anybody have experience with something like this?
Old 03-17-2014, 08:50 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Getting title for old boat?

Yes, you need to take your boat to the State Police Marine Division ( Jersey City area) for an inspection. Once it's inspected by a trooper and passes they present you with a document that includes a newly issued serial #. You then take that document to Nj Motor Vehicles to generate your own Title (Bill of Sale) and registration. It's a huge pain in the ass. Basically the njdmv can't issue you a registration without proof of ownership.Good luck.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:55 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

If you use it without a motor it won't need to be registered . As long as it's 12ft or less. But any type of motor even electric (trolling) requires the registration of that vessel even if less then 12ft.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:37 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Was the boat registered before? They can track that at DMV.

As pointed out, anything with a motor (electric or gas) would have been registered. If so you can get a duplicate title ( issued to orig owner). Then estate can sell it via new title like a new boat.

The HIN plate was probably riveted on to aluminum skin that was over wooden transom.
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber
Old 03-17-2014, 01:00 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

My point in getting title is that if I go to sell it, I'll have to assume the new owner will at least want to put an electric on it.

Boat has never been registered. We kept it at a private lake for many years, then moved it to another private lake. Since I bought a bigger boat it's been sitting in the weeds for years and I figure I might as well get a few bucks for it.
It's probably worth more with title.

Thanks for the info Predator. If that is the only way, I guess I have to do it, but it's going to be a PITA because I have no trailer and it is too wide for me to rooftop.