NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Trout Reccomendations - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 03-31-2017, 03:55 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Trout Reccomendations

Hey all! This is my first thread, glad to be a part of the site. I'm from Hunterdon county so there are plenty of local trout fisheries that are near me, but I'm looking to expand my horizons this year and find some new places to fish. Any recommendations are appreciated!
Old 03-31-2017, 04:09 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Re: Trout Reccomendations

If you want to try the Rockaway let me know I can show you the river that I fish pretty much everyday during trout season.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:48 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Spring lake would be my #1... granted it's not you traditional trout stream with the waders and all but the amount and quality of trout in there is the best I've fished... not only is it state stocked by the shark river surf club stocks the lake with some monster trout every year for the kids on opening day..
Old 03-31-2017, 05:25 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

the musconetcong river and the pequest are my go to rivers. i've fished the musky from lake hopatcong all the way to the delaware; lots of good access. also if you don't mind the drive the big flat brook and paulinskill are good too just a little further north. i would do a little on-line research to figure out and scout out access points and then hit the road. good luck
Old 03-31-2017, 06:51 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

You have some of the best and heaviest stocked trout streams right in your backyard. It would take a very long time to Fish them all. Your not going to find anything better by leaving. If you really want to try another area I would recommend the pequest. It's not far from you either.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:25 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
You have some of the best and heaviest stocked trout streams right in your backyard. It would take a very long time to Fish them all. Your not going to find anything better by leaving. If you really want to try another area I would recommend the pequest. It's not far from you either.
You are not wrong! I love fishing up here, especially having the creek only a 3 minute walk away. I mostly wanted to get out and explore more parts of our beautiful state! I will definitely try the pequest. Thanks for all the responses guys, tight lines!
Old 03-31-2017, 07:47 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Pohatcong river too. Spruce run creek.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:57 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I only know north Jersey so here is my take. It's hard to beat the Flatbrook. Good fishing all year round. And a very scenic place to fish.

In stocking season the Rockaway, Pequannock, Wanaque and Ramapo rivers can be really good. Much of the Pequannock holds trout all year round and I hear of holdovers caught in the Wanaque. I know guys who were catching browns in the Pequannock in the middle of downtown Bloomngdale last summer. Browns haven't been stocked there in a few years so they are holding over at least and probably reproducing even in the middle of a city.

The Pequest and Musconetcong are also very good. Both hold trout all year round in places. Same for the Wallkill River.

I hear Saddle River can be good and fish hold over in some locations through the summer, but I have no experience with it.

For lakes, Green Turtle Pond holds trout all year and is stocked pretty heavily. Hopatcong of course. Pretty much any fish that swims in NJ can be found in Hopatcong. Clinton Reservoir has a good year round trout population (permit requred from Newark, available at their Echo Lake Rd office on Saturday mornings and 9-4 during the week). Wawayanda has a great trout and salmon fishery. Further south Round Valley and Merrill Creek reservoirs are famous for their trout.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by briansnat; 03-31-2017 at 09:00 PM..
Old 04-01-2017, 01:03 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigman13 View Post
Pohatcong river too. Spruce run creek.
Spruce run is right behind my house, I love to fish there. I have a few secret spots that never disappoint! I've heard the pohatcong is nice. Thanks everyone I definitely have some places to try!
Old 04-01-2017, 03:34 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

+1 for briansnat. I might be the source of a few of those. Holdovers in wanaque ramapo and peq plus a healthy population of reproducing brownies. Very fun- last year was great even with the low water
I also always do well in in the paulinskill and some feeder streams there have some massive browns
Tell us where you go and tight lines