NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Lake Hopatcong fishing - Lake noob. - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 05-09-2013, 05:22 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: Lake Hopatcong fishing - Lake noob.

Hey what would a good size hook be to use fishing late night using herring? I have been using #6, would like to know if those are sufficient?
Old 05-09-2013, 06:15 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

dicks sporting goods has them, laurie at dows has them, ramsey has them, and yes its a must have, the ones u listed dont do the same thing or act the same, they have their place but not here at all. I like a gamakatsu octopus in 4 or a needlepoint in 4, size 2 when the herring are bigger later in the season, and always hook thru the nostrils. If your after eyeballs the bait is hit or miss, the lures kill it
Old 05-10-2013, 12:47 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Well we just got back in after getting completely skunked..

We went out on the row boat, up and down the shore lines of pickerel point. At about 11:30 we heard our first rise. I was hoping it would be followed by a bunch more, but nothing. Then we heard another, then another but no bites

Not consistent rises, but definitely something chomping away. One of the rises was right near my bait (herring) and nothing.

We were also using some lures. I got some thunderstick Jr's from dow's (no normal thundersticks) and no f18's at dow's, ramseys, walmart, sports aurthority, etc. I also picked up a f11 rainbow at dows along with the thunder stick jr's.

We were out about 70' max from shore, again going up and down the shore line. Nothing.

I really want to catch a nice walleye, hybrid, musky, something large. I guess patience is key..

There is no way we can row over by brady's bridge from pickerel point. Are there any other decent spots NEAR pickerel point? If someone could PM me if they dont want to share publicly.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:21 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Go Back Up Alittle Futher Into River Stix.fish Just Outside The Lights
Of The Boat Houses.throw Your Herring Into The Lighted Area.just Make Sure You Keep The Boat Out Of The Light As The Shadow Will Spoke Them.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:17 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Welp, we rowed out almost to johnny's marina, fished that back to pickerel pt, nothing but a small mouth. We used lures today, and some nightcrawlers. Im using these thunderstick jrs with absolutely no luck...

My one buddy is pissed, he hasn't caught a fish yet. Doesn't wanna go out on the boat anymore. I know the lake is a tough one to fish, but sureley we should catch something eventually.

Trolling motor worth it or not?
Old 05-11-2013, 11:17 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

depends on whether u plan to fish alot and make it worth it, cause u need a battery too. If you can find a cheap one on craigslist or sumthing and have a battery its worth it. LH is a tuff nut to crack, once u figure it out its an amazing fishery but they dont come easy at all, not even for me. The nite bit has jsut started, next week or two the stripers will turn on and it gets easier u just need to find the bait then u find the fish and catch them. But being mobile is the key, u have great fishing rly close to pickeral pt. All the walleyes Ive caught have been withing rowing distance of your location
Old 05-11-2013, 09:58 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

About to go back out and try our luck again. We fished from 6 ~ 830 with nothing. Saw a rise close by (we were fishing from his boathouse). I know the fish are out there, just no action for us. I've been using rapala f9s & f11s (rainbow) along with thunderstick jr perch + others.

Wish us some luck pls.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:21 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Keep at it my man. if you know the fish are there gotta keep trying different things,retrieves,etc. Sooner or later you'll hook up and be happy as hell!!! This year has seemed to be a little later starting, it's never exactly the same every year usually similar and some what predicable so gotta put the time in and learn your area as much as you can. Don't try to fish the entire lake better off picking a few areas and continually work and learn them. Trust me it will pay off. Many of the guys here know what we're talking about and give great advice so you'll learn a tremendous amount of info from reading the threads and then it's up to you!!!! Good Luck tonight!
Break a rod!!!! LOL................................
Old 05-12-2013, 02:18 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Alright guys, just got back.. happy to report, walleye were caught!!

We rowed down shore a bit and fished for awhile with no luck. After a couple hrs of nothing, we wrapped up and docked. We immpediately started fishing from the boathouse and after about 15, 20 mins my buddy caught the first walleye. We underestimated them, they are monsters! Didn't even fit in our net.

He caught the first one followed by me getting the 2nd, him getting the 3rd. I also had one that I was bringing in take off with my thunderstick in its mouth (weak knot)

They started hitting 12:45 - 1am , much closer to shore than I thought!! Thanks for all your tips guys, we had a blast!
Old 05-12-2013, 08:44 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

need some pics , since we are all coaching you wanna see the results!!!!LOL