NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

🥵 HOT Pompton River float - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 07-20-2020, 11:13 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default 🥵 HOT Pompton River float

Nick and I floated ~8 miles on the Pompton (starting in the ramapo)

it was HOT, and unfortunately the bite was not HOT at all . We encountered sunnies, dink perch, larrys and smallmouth. Mostly dinks but I managed to pull a 16 inch smb off rip rap; which we slowly floated right over and drifted a jig. that was a light bite. a nice fight.
Got a few more doing the same technique but they were small and rare to come by.

Encountered no esox although some guys we passed by reported a few in the morning hours. We got a late start so that could have impacted us.

At one of the dams I pulled two larrys on the texas rig, cast right into the base and sat it right on the bottom.

Who else went out this weekend? Anyone else find the heat killing the bite? Any success in the AM? Stay cool!

Old 07-20-2020, 12:25 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: 🥵 HOT Pompton River float

Wading the Big D., early AM the bite has been slow, I believe due to the heat. Artificials were doing nothing, so collected some hellgrammites. Caught two 15" smallies, 18" channel and 22" channel all on the same hellgrammite.
Old 07-20-2020, 12:42 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Upper Pompton is a nice mix of largemouth, perch and some smallies. I've only landed Pike in the mid/lower river though.

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 07-20-2020, 03:01 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk City View Post
Upper Pompton is a nice mix of largemouth, perch and some smallies. I've only landed Pike in the mid/lower river though.
neat, thank you! I hope to check out the upper parts sometime
Old 07-21-2020, 06:43 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Looks like the fish feel the same as we do about this heat. Dinks are better than skunks though so at least you found a few willing to bite. I've caught esox all the way up to the dam in Oakland. Wouldn't go there to target them, but they do travel miles from their original stocking locations so long as the waters connect. Gotta say that's a cool shirt too, measure the fish right on the sleeve!
Old 07-21-2020, 07:16 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox Luciano View Post
Looks like the fish feel the same as we do about this heat. Dinks are better than skunks though so at least you found a few willing to bite. I've caught esox all the way up to the dam in Oakland. Wouldn't go there to target them, but they do travel miles from their original stocking locations so long as the waters connect. Gotta say that's a cool shirt too, measure the fish right on the sleeve!
Thanks, yea the chance of a pike up there itself is cool. They really do spread out.

The measuring feature on the shirt is actually terrible lol. Difficult to do it with one hand and the fabric makes it inaccurate. I use the 24 inch rapala folding bump board.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:40 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Talking Re: 🥵 HOT Pompton River float

It’s all good man! You got to float a nice stretch of water. The fish will cooperate next time. Nice Smallie BROSKI!
Old 07-21-2020, 01:02 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTEDDIE29 View Post
It’s all good man! You got to float a nice stretch of water. The fish will cooperate next time. Nice Smallie BROSKI!
thanks ed, we got a good upper body workout alongside. The wind was pushing us upstream more than the current was pushing downstream
Old 07-21-2020, 05:01 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Nice smallie!