NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Canada Alternatives - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 01-22-2019, 03:23 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Canada Alternatives

Hi All,

I have been going to different fly in outpost camps to lakes through Lake Berthelot Outfitters in Quebec(what a great operation they run) every year with my dad since 1988. He turned 86 this year and is still in good shape but is starting to have some medical issues and this past August we had to head to an emergency room up there and come home early. I know we are never going to get that kind of experience closer to home but I was wondering if anyone had ideas about other options that would be drivable from NJ (was thinking PA-NY-NH-VT-ME). Would be looking for an outfitter that had basic cabins on a lake. We have had anywhere from 3-8 people in our group. Flexible on the size of the lake but I don't think we would want to fish on something as big as the Great Lakes. Also flexible on the type of fishing but we are most familiar with jigging and trolling for walleye and pike. It does not need to be so close to a hospital- I can research that part- but the two issues with the fly in camp in Quebec is that we had to wait for a flight out and then negotiate the Canadian Health Care system with US Health Insurance. Again, I know we are not going to get the same experience but just looking to modify this so my dad can still participate and spend time with us. I appreciate any ideas that people can share.

Thanks,

John
Old 01-22-2019, 04:27 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Canada Alternatives

I know there are some private lodges on the upper delaware that sound similar to what you're looking for. I'm sure there are a ton out there in PA/NY within driving range.

If you don't care about having a guide/have your own gear, try air bnb. I booked a trip up to a lake on the CT/RI border in early May at a lakefront cabin that has 8 beds and 4 kayaks for us to use, all for $88 dollars a night. Very excited for that!
Old 01-22-2019, 05:27 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookmanski View Post
I booked a trip up to a lake on the CT/RI border in early May at a lakefront cabin that has 8 beds and 4 kayaks for us to use, all for $88 dollars a night. Very excited for that!
Is the lakefront cabin on Beach Pond near Voluntown? The lake is heavily stocked with trout. You can catch them from shore, or at least you could 30 years ago when I was there.
It is OK but in the US I would head to Maine. I used to rent a cottage on Lake Nesowadnehunk, which is at the foot of Mt Katahdin. The lake has never been stocked and allows only fly casting.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:46 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I'm far from the expert but I'd look at Lake George in NY or Lake Champlain, I stumbled across lodges or outfitters around each. I think both have walleye and pike. If you want to DIY lodging try VRBO.com.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:30 PM
NJFishing.com Member

I would look into guides outfitters on the st Lawrence River, great walleye, pike, smallmouth and musky fishing. It’s a fairly reasonable drive and close to several US hospitals in a worse case scenario. It also has back bays and small off shoots where you don’t have to feel like you are fishing a giant body of water but still has plenty of water to never have to fish the same place twice if you choose not to.
Anther place to look at is Oneida lake. Great walleye and smallmouth and very close to Syracuse. I know there are camps and outfitters all over the lake and you can even do a day trip to lake Ontario if you want to salmon fish for a day
Old 01-23-2019, 09:32 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finprof View Post
Is the lakefront cabin on Beach Pond near Voluntown? The lake is heavily stocked with trout. You can catch them from shore, or at least you could 30 years ago when I was there.
It is actually! Good guess!! Yeah ive been reading up on it and it seems like a really cool fishery. CT and RI both stock it, seems like theres just about everything up swimming in there. Can't wait to fish it!
Old 01-23-2019, 12:11 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Champlain would be on my short list. My buddy goes every fall. This past year, they lost count of the smallies over 5lb.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:32 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Lots of good options in the Adirondacks. Plenty of cabin rentals available on the big lakes. Guide services are available in the area if you want them. Long Lake, Tupper Lake, Cranberry Lake, Raquette Lake, Schroon Lake and many others. 4-5 hour drive to most.

Same for Vermont. Check Lake Bomoseen, Lake Raponda, Lake Champlain, Lake Dunmore, etc.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:49 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I agree with most of the posters.. here in NY state there are a lot of opportunities for good freshwater fishing but there are some caveats you need to be aware of.. The water here is under a lot of pressure year round, these lakes get hit hard compared to canada, and the fish here are not pushovers that haven't seen a lot of lures, especially walleye.

Also you are talking very large and very deep bodies of water that require the knowledge of good local guides. the fish are not everywhere in these massive lakes and rivers, plenty of dead water..
It can certainly be learned, but that takes time.

Lots of guides here, but not all are good ones, as is the case anywhere.. You need to do your research, decide what you want to fish for, and get as many recommendations as you can.. Walleyes are here big ones in some places, but most people will certainly need a guide to catch them in any numbers, they are not always easy to find.. Locals are very little help, they keep their mouths shut.
Most walleyes in large water bodies in NY are caught deep trolling, not by jigging/casting.. There are a few guides that will do jigging/casting trips, but you need to search them out.. The guides in this state are highly trolling oriented for just about any species outside of SMB or Muskies/Pike, especially on the Great Lakes.. You can catch some big fish here, but as stated, do your homework, and have a good idea as to what you are looking for. I live here, know some of the guys by reputation, and would be happy to make recommendations as to when , where, how and who. Much of the good water up here isn't too far from large towns with services. bob

Last edited by bulletbob; 01-23-2019 at 01:51 PM..
Old 01-24-2019, 09:11 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

This might be useful. Lots of info and plenty of ads for outfitters at the back.

https://visitadirondacks.com/sites/d...shingGuide.pdf