NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Flathead tips - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 07-30-2019, 12:04 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Flathead tips

Than for the advice!! I was scouting some areas and think I found a winner spot. Just hope there’s more still swimming!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	940AEB66-A7F8-4261-9BF4-6AD1C9F8AB9D.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	135909   Click image for larger version

Name:	E961A24D-FBAD-487A-8712-38AF6EA0F2F1.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	135910  
Old 07-30-2019, 08:30 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondhopper8 View Post
Than for the advice!! I was scouting some areas and think I found a winner spot. Just hope there’s more still swimming!!!
Nice!
Old 07-31-2019, 06:30 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Woah! Is that a dead one? Looks like it may be a solid spot if the bottom is deeper and bouldery.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:57 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudCat08 View Post
Woah! Is that a dead one? Looks like it may be a solid spot if the bottom is deeper and bouldery.
Oh damn i didnt see it was dead. In that case yea it could mean a good spot. Cant be too far from where ot came from
Old 07-31-2019, 10:34 AM
dakota560

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmyorke1 View Post
Oh damn i didnt see it was dead. In that case yea it could mean a good spot. Cant be too far from where ot came from
When I first saw that photo, I thought it was a big female marked up coming off the spawn but obviously that fish has been dead for a while. What caused it is anyone's guess but probably stresses of the spawn or fish being mishandled after being caught (gut hooked) or someone following part of the state's invasive species policy. Shame seeing a fish that size killed in spite of the current regulations. That fish could have died 10 miles upriver with the amount of rain we've had this year. Saw a picture recently of hundreds of very large flatheads caught and killed by Philadelphia Water Department on the Schuylkill that were congregated in a lock on the river during their upstream spawn. Fish were tossed on the cement to die, sad sight to see in spite of regulations.

I would venture to say flathead fishing on the Schuylkill adds more to the economy than most other fisheries and like others have said they're not going anywhere anytime soon. Same with the Delaware and Susquehanna. Still see good concentrations of small mouths in the rivers so what impact they're having on other species is anyone's guess but regardless they're not going away.

As far as fishing, have seen cut bait outproduce live bait early in the season for some reason. Not always but it seems to have it's place earlier in the season. Fish may be more lethargic when water temperatures are colder and with spring run off water is more clouded so cats might depend more on smell than movement at these times. If river is running normal and visibility good early in the season, don't discount live bait as it is hands down overall the way to go. Post spawn, live bait is the ticket as fish tend to feed more using their lateral lines and hearing to detect movement on dark nights when water levels subside than sense of smell.

Fish seems or slower moving water with structure that's near deeper holes. Good spots with deep water near slower moving stretches where flatheads will forage at night but some kind of structure is a must. That's where they live. 60 degrees seems to be the trigger point in the spring, then the spawn occurs and almost shuts the fishery down, and July, August, September and maybe October based on temps and water levels are the best months in my opinion. Dark nights are the best, as others have said stay away from full moons.

Baits I use almost exclusively bluegills, yellow perch or large golden shiners. Cut bait early I'll use shad or any of the above. J or circle hooks each have their moments. I tend to use large hooks size 8/0 or 9/0. Have had success and failures with both, current factors into what type hook to use. As far as hooking your baits, if a lot of current use a shorter leader and hook in the mouth or nose. If fishing slower moving water, use a longer leader and hook behind the dorsal for better movement. Slide sinker set up, no roll sinkers are best, heavy braid main and I use 50 lb fluoro leader and that's all you need. Tackle should have enough back bone to handle a big fish when you get the right bite.

Good luck on the water, it's a great fishery even though the state doesn't want it to be it's going to continue to be.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:31 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudCat08 View Post
Yea nice deep rocky run, gonna try my luck tomorrow night, will post!!
Old 07-31-2019, 10:33 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota560 View Post
When I first saw that photo, I thought it was a big female marked up coming off the spawn but obviously that fish has been dead for a while. What caused it is anyone's guess but probably stresses of the spawn or fish being mishandled after being caught (gut hooked) or someone following part of the state's invasive species policy. Shame seeing a fish that size killed in spite of the current regulations. That fish could have died 10 miles upriver with the amount of rain we've had this year. Saw a picture recently of hundreds of very large flatheads caught and killed by Philadelphia Water Department on the Schuylkill that were congregated in a lock on the river during their upstream spawn. Fish were tossed on the cement to die, sad sight to see in spite of regulations.

I would venture to say flathead fishing on the Schuylkill adds more to the economy than most other fisheries and like others have said they're not going anywhere anytime soon. Same with the Delaware and Susquehanna. Still see
good concentrations of small mouths in the rivers so what impact they're having on other species is anyone's guess but regardless they're not going away.

As far as fishing, have seen cut bait outproduce live bait early in the season for some reason. Not always but it seems to have it's place earlier in the season. Fish may be more lethargic when water temperatures are colder and with spring run off water is more clouded so cats might depend more on smell than movement at these times. If river is running normal and visibility good early in the season, don't discount live bait as it is hands down overall the way to go. Post spawn, live bait is the ticket as fish tend to feed more using their lateral lines and hearing to detect movement on dark nights when water levels subside than sense of smell.

Fish seems or slower moving water with structure that's near deeper holes. Good spots with deep water near slower moving stretches where flatheads will forage at night but some kind of structure is a must. That's where they live. 60 degrees seems to be the trigger point in the spring, then the spawn occurs and almost shuts the fishery down, and July, August, September and maybe October based on temps and water levels are the best months in my opinion. Dark nights are the best, as others have said stay away from full moons.

Baits I use almost exclusively bluegills, yellow perch or large golden shiners. Cut bait early I'll use shad or any of the above. J or circle hooks each have their moments. I tend to use large hooks size 8/0 or 9/0. Have had success and failures with both, current factors into what type hook to use. As far as hooking your baits, if a lot of current use a shorter leader and hook in the mouth or nose. If fishing slower moving water, use a longer leader and hook behind the dorsal for better movement. Slide sinker set up, no roll sinkers are best, heavy braid main and I use 50 lb fluoro leader and that's all you need. Tackle should have enough back bone to handle a big fish when you get the right bite.

Good luck on the water, it's a great fishery even though the state doesn't want it to be it's going to continue to be.
Thanx for the info!! Appreciate you taking the time!!
Old 08-01-2019, 09:45 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Be prepared to lose some rigs in the rocks.
These fish are no doubt some of the biggest fish you will catch in freshwater in NJ.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:16 AM
dakota560

Quote:
Yea nice deep rocky run, gonna try my luck tomorrow night, will post!!
Well how did you make out?
Old 08-02-2019, 08:52 PM
dakota560

Finally was able to find the video I was looking for about killing flat heads on the Schuylkill. Sad waste of a very valuable resource involving some of the biggest fresh water fish you'll ever catch. I know they're invasive and what the laws say but in my opinion on this one accept it for what it is which is a tremendous fishery enjoyed by many, a viable fishery as others have said that's not going away. Sad footage but here it is.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByiXfQkn...E42Bkyq5YbVw4Y