NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Replacement Coaming Bolsters - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 12-02-2019, 01:50 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Replacement Coaming Bolsters

I'm considering replacing old coaming bolsters on my center console. New vinyl or the Sea Dek type stick-on bolsters are the options. I've researched both and watched all the videos on fabrication and installation, and have also figured out how my old bolsters would have to be removed.

As an experiment, I installed a small Sea Dek bolster in the bow where my knees made contact with the bare bulkhead when trying to pop the anchor by hand. After a few months of blackfishing, it has done the job and the adhesive is working. For how long - who knows.

Anyone have experience with this project, including recommendations or suggestions for either option? I think I can do this work myself, but does anyone know a really good fabricator for new vinyl bolsters if I go that way? I'm in the Atlantic Highlands general area.

Thanks.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:01 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Re: Replacement Coaming Bolsters

I don't have any experience with Sea Dek but if you simply want to replace your current bolsters with new fabric I would recommend http://www.bdcanvas.com/ They are local, do nice work and are reasonably priced.

If you're going to keep the boat for a while, rather then replace the vinyl with new vinyl you might look into replacing them with Sunbrella. We've got black Sunbrella bolsters on our 2000 Carolina Classic that are original to the boat. We never do anything to them but hose them off and they look practically brand new, hold up way better then vinyl and don't get the sun fading or black mold like white vinyl does. See picture below.

Not sure if yours are permanently installed but if they are you want to inspect the wood backing and consider replacing with Starboard rather then wood since they will last a lot longer.

Hope that helps and good luck with your project
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bolsters.jpg
Views:	572
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	139161  

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 12-03-2019, 03:25 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Thanks Gerry. Doing bolsters with Sunbrella is an interesting idea and the fact that your bolsters have lasted 19 years is a great testimonial for Sunbrella. Doing them in black probably helps with color fade due to UV exposure. I'm going to contact BD Canvas to see what they can do, including looking at another fix-it project too.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:58 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I have had multiple jobs done by Darren at Nautilux Canvas in Holmdel. His work is factory quality and some of the best I've ever seen. Just another guy to get a quote from if interested.

http://www.nautiluxcanvas.com/
Old 12-04-2019, 06:52 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I’ll 2nd BD Canvas. Dori did a helm cover for me a few years ago. Came to the house did right on the trailer. Measured on a Tuesday nite and came Thursday to finish up. Very good pricing.

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995
Old 03-12-2020, 10:25 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Follow-up information for potential interested boaters:

After contacting the good folks recommended above, I just wasnt ready to commit. Did some do it yourself research on the web and contacted my boat’s manufacturer to get info on how my bolsters were probably attached.

I decided I had the skills and the time to do it myself. Decided to go with vinyl since it had lasted 15 years before cracking and wanted to match a section of good bolster still remaining. Bought the best marine vinyl and color piping. Removing the old bolsters was time consuming but not that difficult. They were backed by Starboard with all stainless hardware. Removed old vinyl and piping and found the foam to be a bit wet but in excellent condition. Let the foam completely air dry. Cut and fit new vinyl. Stapled it, along with edge piping, using stainless staples.

Two 10-foot bolsters came out great. Ready for another 15 years. This time I’m going to rig some type of simple covers to protect them from the sun when not fishing.

A nice project for other do-it-yourselfers out there.

Last edited by Dawn Treader; 03-13-2020 at 08:51 PM..
Old 03-13-2020, 12:36 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Treader View Post
Follow-up information for potential interested boaters:

After contacting the good folks recommended above, I just wasnt ready to commit. Did some do it yourself research on the web and contacted my boat’s manufacturer to get info on how my bolsters were probably attached.

I decided I had the skills and the time to do it myself. Decided to go with vinyl since it had lasted 15 years before cracking and wanted to match a section of good bolster still remaining. Bought the best marine vinyl and color piping. Removing the old bolsters was time consuming but not that difficult. Backed by Starboard with all stainless hardware. Removed old vinyl and piping and found the foam to be a bit wet but in excellent condition. Let the foam completely air dry. Cut and fit new vinyl. Stapled it, along with edge piping, using stainless staples.

Two 10-foot bolsters came out great. Ready for another 15 years. This time I’m going to rig some type of simple covers to protect them from the sun when not fishing.

A nice project for other do-it-yourselfers out there.

Sounds like you did a great job. If I trailer the dirty shrimp up north will you do mine
Old 03-13-2020, 08:48 PM
NJFishing.com Member

If you get tired of looking at your deteriorated bolsters like I was and want to tackle replacing them, I’d be happy to talk you through the process.
Old 06-06-2020, 02:24 PM
NJFishing.com Member

I had mine all recovered in marine vinyl by Belmar Upholster. He was very reasonable and did quality work. His name is Bob
Old 06-10-2020, 08:06 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I received a quote from all the guys on the thread. Crazy high prices for the work. You would think I wanted a breast implant or something. I took my bolsters off, fixed all the tears with gorilla tape, and covered everything with 9 oz sunbrella. Perfect. Looks like new. two hours total time, and $100.00 for material and staples.