NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Lake Okeechobee - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 03-28-2017, 01:08 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Lake Okeechobee

When in Central Florida, why not fish Lake Okeechobee right? Was down there for the weekend to help drive up a car back to NJ. We hit the local guide service and were on the water by 7am. The guide was recommending shiners as the lake was running low and super stressed with many many tournaments recently. I was being stubborn and was like… “ Live bait??? Nah… I’m practically a bass pro up north”… ahahahaha (kidding of course). He said you are paying me to put fish in the boat and have a good time, I STRONGLY recommend Shiners. Fine, we got 4 dozen and off we went. Those big time bass pro boats are amazing. We were flying around the lake on a few inches of water traveling at 55mph. We hit our top speed at 58mph into a head wind. I will never knock live bait fishing again as it’s got its own techniques and secrets. It’ just another way of fishing that requires time and practice to master. The hardest part was watching the bobber and the bait get crushed and having to wait 5 to 7 seconds to set the hook. Goes against everything we know about fishing artificial baits.

Anyway, pretty exciting day and I checked it off the ol bucket list. A total of 20+ bass ranging from 1lb to 5lbs. Jon caught the trophy 5lb-r early in the morning. The rest of the day was constant 2-3lb-rs all day. We caught about 5 or 6 catfish (nothing bigger than 2lbs). We also caught two Bowfins. One about 5lbs and Jon with the biggest at 8lbs. The fight was crazy and amazing but the guide wanted nothing to do with them. Like DON’T even bring that fish on board. He clubbed them both over the head and claimed they were invasive and resulted in a $1000k fine if not killed on the spot. I’m pretty sure that may be the case for the invasive Snakehead, and not for the native Bowfin. They are in the business of BASSing and the Bowfin is just a big nuisance I guess. Had I been more informed, I would have asked that they not be clubbed over the head.

Anyway, all in all, had a blast and what an experience for sure. If any of you have not experienced before, make sure you take a road trip to Okeechobee and try your luck at the double digit bass that lurk in them grassy shallows.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	107953

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	107954

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	107955

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	107956

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	107957

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	107958

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	107959

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	107960
Old 03-28-2017, 04:10 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Lake Okeechobee

Looks like an awesome productive trip, great job guys
Old 03-28-2017, 05:52 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Lake Okeechobee

Way to get the most out of your trip dudes! Looks like you had some awesome fishing! Great pics and great memory to look back on! Pretty friggin awesome!!!
Some rather large Bass down there in that area.......
TIGHT LINEZ!!!
Old 03-28-2017, 06:27 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Lake Okeechobee

Thx Guys. Time to get our fish on locally. The Rains and warm days are here.