NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Wreck Anchors <vs> Danforth Anchors - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 04-01-2011, 08:42 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Wreck Anchors <vs> Danforth Anchors

I was curious if anyone has an opinion regarding using a rebar wreck anchor <vs> two regular danforth anchors. I am a huge blackfish/seabass/flukin on the rocks fisherman sailing out of mansquan inlet and I just bought a 24ft boat this year. I have a regular danforth anchor and was thinking of either buying another danforth so that I can anchor on wrecks or purchase a rebar wreck anchor with multi eyes so you can bend it of the rocks or pull it out of the rocks in reverse. I've heard various opinions about safety vs stability when using either two danforth anchors versus one wreck anchor. I was hoping you can share your experience or any information is appreciated. Also, if you use one wreck anchor does the boat tend to move around a lot with the tide and you have to continously adjust your position. I might just buy both and see what works best. Any information is appreciated

Thanks,
/''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''<><
Old 04-01-2011, 10:22 AM
Site Sponsor

Default Re: Wreck Anchors <vs> Danforth Anchors

Both have their applications

Wreck anchor / Grapple has alot of advantages when fishing from a smaller boat esp when seabassing or days with lack of conditions. Its very quick to get setup and move spots.

But when blackfishing two anchors is way to go esp when u know where the bite is and where u want to b... locking u in place, prevents swing and or being able to shift and cover the whole piece.

Safety wise

u def want to watch the ocean conditions.... u are more likely to take one over the bow when grappled due to the scope and its not wise to ever grapple from the stern (though i see it all the time) just a big wake even on a flat day could ruin you whole day!!!

Good luck!!!
Capt. Jerry (732) 688-0765
Office (732) 403-6056
www.fishmongercharters.com
Old 04-01-2011, 10:55 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Another thing is depth. In the shallows, wreck anchors will work effectively especially on real sticky stuff like the sh reef for example. But other lower lying spots, you will have some trouble getting it to stick where you want it to. Out in deeper water, it will be much harder to get vertical on the piece due to the huge belly in the anchor rope and you will swing off the piece. You may think you're vertical when you pull up on it but you're really not, and then you may end up popping it out. I'm talking spots over 100 feet. I would double anchor on these types of spots.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:26 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

It sounds like you are a serious bottom fisherman. If that is the case you need to be prepared for whatever the conditions bring your way in a particular day out on the water. I would have a second danforth anchor set up so that you have 2 anchors set up to double anchor so you can sit on a piece with limited swing. This will also allow you to adjust and fish different sections of the piece rather than have to pick up and readjust. I would also purchase yourself a wreck anchor that you can store on the boat and break out when conditions warrant using wreck anchor. Just unshackle regular anchor from your second set up and add wreck anchor and you are good to go. Another advantage is that if you loose an anchor you will have a backup to get you through the day. To reduce the chances of loosing anchor I would rig them up to be able to reverse pull. Keep some heavy duty zip ties on boat at all times so you can rerig. This year I purchased both a Danforth and a wreck Anchor ($45) set up for reverse pull with anchor ball that I can bring on friends boats that do not carry a second or wreck anchor. If I am going to spend the day bottom fishing I want to make sure we are prepared even if it means lugging around my own equipment.

If you have any other questions or our looking for someone to head out with you feel free to contact me. Enclosed is picture of setup I have put together. Everything fits in one tub and does not take up much space.

Alex
MVP
201-741-1823
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040558 (Medium).JPG
Views:	512
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	33083  
Old 04-06-2011, 01:48 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Mind if I add on?

while using two anchors, is there a system? I know wind and tide play a part, but are there certain angles off the piece before dropping?

I've only single anchored before but want to double anchor but not sure of the best approach to go at at...

any help appreciated.
Tony
Old 04-08-2011, 12:00 PM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleyankfan
Mind if I add on?

while using two anchors, is there a system? I know wind and tide play a part, but are there certain angles off the piece before dropping?

I've only single anchored before but want to double anchor but not sure of the best approach to go at at...

any help appreciated.
Tony
Tony

get joe in the bow and throw them both over da side
Capt. Jerry (732) 688-0765
Office (732) 403-6056
www.fishmongercharters.com