NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Winterizing 2 cycle, gas in or gas out? Results. - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 09-26-2015, 09:24 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Winterizing 2 cycle, gas in or gas out? Results.

I posed a question last year and the responses were basically mixed. It was regarding whether or not I should run the motor dry, or leave (stabilized) gas in it when storing for the winter.

I had always run it dry and fogged the carb, but my brother's mechanic said not to bother with fogging and to leave gas in it as long as it is stabilized. His argument was that it keeps things lubricated during storage.

Well last fall I decided to try it leaving the gas in. During the 2014 season (having run the motor dry before storage the previous fall) I had a helluva a time starting the motor most of the year. This year, after leaving the gas in, the motor has started on the first or second pull every time. Even when I started this season using last year's leftover gas. So as far as I'm concerned it's leave the gas in.

Anybody else have experiences one way or another with their 2 cycles?
Old 09-27-2015, 03:39 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Winterizing 2 cycle, gas in or gas out? Results.

Look what the Mfgr says. I had OMC's that said to fog. Mercury says do NOT fog.

Personally i think running it dry is not good no matter what you do with tank. Leaving stabilized fuelin the carbs keeps your seal flexible and should not break down and wreck your float bowls.

End of season the tank should already be stabilized and that's already in the engine. Never had a carb problem since I started doing that in the 1990's and with new EFI motor.

I use Alcohol Stabil. But I'm sure other brand like Startron are PROBABLY as good.
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber
Old 09-27-2015, 07:47 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I run them dry, never fogged in my life. They all start up in the spring.

"Marie's Dream" 1985 21' Trophy
Homeport: Allamuchy, NJ
Old 09-29-2015, 07:46 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Smile Re: Winterizing 2 cycle, gas in or gas out? Results.

I,stabilize,last tank full ,make sure I run a few gallons through engine ,run dry and fog engine and change lower unit oil. Change plugs after first trip every other year depending on use. Take off prop and check for fishing line etc! Great results for 20 plus years !
Old 10-25-2015, 10:59 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Don't ever run them dry, Carburetors work on a float and they will shut off when half empty so you will never actually run it fully empty. Its better to have a full carb. All a half full carb will do is gunk up easier. customers bring them in every spring. Just make sure you put stabilizer in the fuel.

"You can watch things happen, make things happen or wonder what the !#$ just happened" - Captain Phil Harris

<><
Old 10-26-2015, 07:59 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Did mine saturday. Stabil, changed lower unit oil(no water in it) and fogged it. Covered it and said good night. Should start right up in the spring. Only thing left is to remove the batteries
Old 10-26-2015, 12:18 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Been fogging and running it with treated gas since 1995 and no problems. Oh, learned one thing the hard way. Usually bring in my batteries and store them on a piece of wood in the cellar. Deceided last year to leave them in the boat stored in the garage and charge them periodically. Went to charge starting battery and would not charge. Look in cells dry. Battery case cracked. Somehow battery drained and learned a dead battery will freeze at same temperature as plain water. Bummer was brand new that season. Oh well will be bringing in batteries and storing them in the cellar as usual. Just wanted to pass that along.