NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Boat taking on water - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 08-08-2014, 08:11 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Boat taking on water

I'm thinking it may be the livewell intake, anyone have that problem, and how did you determine it was so?
Old 08-08-2014, 08:29 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Boat taking on water

Pump out and check for leaks , if you can pull the boat , check everything under your boat that might pick up water used marine silicone caulk and reinstall, was always afraid of the pick up for livewell and raw water , but mine is a copper or brass ball valve with handle to close it when im not around in case the hose ever gave way !
Old 08-09-2014, 10:38 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

As Bass mentioned, pump out the water in the hull and then try to determine where the leak is coming from... If it's from any of the through hulls then you will need to pull the boat to fix it. If that that thru hull is below the water line it should be bronze not plastic , the hoses should be double clamped and there should be a shut off valve on everything below the water.

If you drain all the water out and while in the slip with everything off you don't take on any more water, then it's not your thru hulls.. Now turn on your live well pump and see if that is leaking anywhere up line and same with wash down pump. If thats not it and you have an inboard or IO check the plumbing for the cooling system for leaks.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 08-09-2014, 05:26 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

I was wrong, livewell not the problem. The leak is coming from the bottom of the boat and the fault is under the bunk so I can not determine the extent of the damage. It's 16.5' aluminum deep V with a 50hp and 9.9 kicker. Way to much for me to handle, need professional help. Know anyone in the area doing that kind of work?
Old 08-10-2014, 05:54 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

I just found the same problem on my boat. Fortunately for me, not under the bunk. Checked You Tube and found that West Systems makes an epoxy specially designed for repairing leaking seams and rivets in aluminum boats. Requires a torch and heat gun but stuff looks pretty bad ass... I'm gonna try this first but if you find someone to do it for you, let me know how it works out! I might go that route...
Old 08-10-2014, 04:25 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Allumaloy
Old 08-11-2014, 10:51 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

If its that small a boat.. why not haul it. Fill it with water and see when the water is leaking back out of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Charlie View Post
I was wrong, livewell not the problem. The leak is coming from the bottom of the boat and the fault is under the bunk so I can not determine the extent of the damage. It's 16.5' aluminum deep V with a 50hp and 9.9 kicker. Way to much for me to handle, need professional help. Know anyone in the area doing that kind of work?
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber