NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

anchors - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 01-28-2013, 10:53 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default anchors

I need a new fluke style anchor,chain, and rope.
What do you guys reccommend for a 23' boat?
Any sponsors carry what I need?
Old 01-28-2013, 11:54 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: anchors

How deep do you fish and what will fit in the boat's rope locker?

Probably 3/8" inch three strand nylon line. The one with the little fleck in it is supposed to be better quality. Bigger is wasted strength and space in your boat's anchor locker.

Chain? The more the better and increases holding power DRASTICALLY. Meaning much less scope (and less to carry). Rule of thumb is chain should be 3/4 the length of your boat. (see Seamanship Secrets by J. Jamieson). With that much chain the amount of rode needed for your depth is less with scopes of only 3 or 4:1 instead of 7 or more. Allow don't free fall drop. The chain ALWAYS hits bottom first and pussiboly fouing your anchor preventing it setting in bottom.

Makes sure the shackles are good ones. And safety wire them ... so they don't come apart when you don't want them too. That way they are easier to disconnect when you do- like changing from Danforth to rebar tined grapple hook for wrecks/rocks w/o chain. This avoids using two huge wrenchs to make it near impossible to open and and near impossible change your anchors.

ANother modification putting a breakaway. This is where you main shackle is connected to the anchor's crown. The main line then runs along the shank with a wire tie to orient it crown down to get flukes to bury when pulled. So if it gets hung up the wire tie will break and you can pull the anchor in backwards ( crown towards you) easily.

PM if you have any questions? I teach boat rigging stuff to my students.

Last edited by Capt. Debbie; 01-28-2013 at 05:55 PM..
Old 01-28-2013, 12:35 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks Frank, I fish mostly 75' or less.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:50 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Your welcome.

If you have anchor locker it defines what will fit. Otherwise it's a hazzard in you bow all over the deck. You using a laundry basket with more room?

Ideally 1/2 spool of 300 feet of 3/8" line. But will it fit all in your anchor locker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassnbucks
Thanks Frank, I fish mostly 75' or less.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:46 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I do have an anchor locker.I had 200' of 3/8 rope but needed more.I'm thinking 300' of 3/8 line and 15' of chain.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:28 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Not all boats have a lot of room. Some even store the anchor itself inside locker and are lucky to put in a 100 feet of line.

Put as much as you can fit. Never can have too much. I suggested 300 feet as a nice length, if it fits. 15 feet of chain makes a good set up. I guess that would be what? a 7 pound danforth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassnbucks
I do have an anchor locker.I had 200' of 3/8 rope but needed more.I'm thinking 300' of 3/8 line and 15' of chain.