NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

BLUEFIN 50mi. OFF? BOAT AND CAPTAIN CAPABILITIES - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 08-06-2009, 12:56 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: BLUEFIN 50mi. OFF? BOAT AND CAPTAIN CAPABILITIES

Great post! Especially the reference to the football players in Florida!
Old 08-06-2009, 01:12 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Great post Capt'n. We frequent the BFT grounds b/t 40 and 60 miles off leaving barnegat in a 25 Mako w/a. The boat's owner is 20 years experienced operating in the ocean and all aboard have some salt in their veins. Don't forget that once in sight of land, the trip isn't over. The inlets can be just as treacherous as outside for smaller boats and now after a tired 2+ hour trip home, you might have to deal with quite a bit of bay/river traffic as well.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:36 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/US/03/27...tml#cnnSTCText

Not sure if the posts would help those guys in Florida.......Sometimes the equipment is not worth it !! The anchor in this case.

I have aided in 2 rescues at sea, one in which a 35ft express was taking on water in 6-8 ft seas years ago during a shark tounament. When we pulled up to assist the vessel the first thing one of the crew asked us was 'could you take my fishing rods?', granted they were internationals....lol. We were able to relay the coordinates to the Coast Guard, who dispatched a chopper and a pump. Pretty amazing site seeing a rescue first hand.

The second was by the jetty at the manasquan inlet, A father was desparately trying to get his engine started and could not set anchor in time. One of the sons was still fishing while the boat was about to slam the jetty. We were in the right place at the right time and were able to toss him a line.

ok my point......Even if you have The Boat and The Equipment, make sure you have THE CREW. Make sure at least one other individual that is more than capable to handle the duties of Captain if you decide to venture out.

Second, make sure You are up to the task. The first year I bought my boat, I asked Captain Marc Hrycak (REEL ACTION CHARTERS) to give me a quick lesson on rough seas. We ventured out of the inlet after watching a pair of 48 sea rays turn around and got tossed for an an hour in what I would would say were 6 to 8s and maybe a 10 stuck in there. It was the greatest experience and confidence builder I ever had.

Since that experience I have learned that only way I venture out offshore is with the right crew. And if it does hit the fan....make sure you and the crew understand your insurance agent would rather cut a check for your anchor, internationals, and/or your boat instead of cutting a check to your beneficiaries.

Good Luck

Capt Bart Bakelaar
28 Henriques
Bake's

ps We never took the internationals
Old 08-06-2009, 03:00 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Some great info here Good post Sal
Old 08-06-2009, 09:48 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Sal,
Great post, one really important addition is to never retreive your anchor by attaching the line to a stern cleat. Lots of thing can go wrong, like running over the line ect and ending up anchored stern into the sea.
I know of two boats that have sunk in the last 10 years from doing this.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:20 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thumbs up Re: BLUEFIN 50mi. OFF? BOAT AND CAPTAIN CAPABILITIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes
http://edition.cnn.com/2009/US/03/27...tml#cnnSTCText

Not sure if the posts would help those guys in Florida.......Sometimes the equipment is not worth it !! The anchor in this case.

I have aided in 2 rescues at sea, one in which a 35ft express was taking on water in 6-8 ft seas years ago during a shark tounament. When we pulled up to assist the vessel the first thing one of the crew asked us was 'could you take my fishing rods?', granted they were internationals....lol. We were able to relay the coordinates to the Coast Guard, who dispatched a chopper and a pump. Pretty amazing site seeing a rescue first hand.

The second was by the jetty at the manasquan inlet, A father was desparately trying to get his engine started and could not set anchor in time. One of the sons was still fishing while the boat was about to slam the jetty. We were in the right place at the right time and were able to toss him a line.

ok my point......Even if you have The Boat and The Equipment, make sure you have THE CREW. Make sure at least one other individual that is more than capable to handle the duties of Captain if you decide to venture out.

Second, make sure You are up to the task. The first year I bought my boat, I asked Captain Marc Hrycak (REEL ACTION CHARTERS) to give me a quick lesson on rough seas. We ventured out of the inlet after watching a pair of 48 sea rays turn around and got tossed for an an hour in what I would would say were 6 to 8s and maybe a 10 stuck in there. It was the greatest experience and confidence builder I ever had.

Since that experience I have learned that only way I venture out offshore is with the right crew. And if it does hit the fan....make sure you and the crew understand your insurance agent would rather cut a check for your anchor, internationals, and/or your boat instead of cutting a check to your beneficiaries.

Good Luck

Capt Bart Bakelaar
28 Henriques
Bake's

ps We never took the internationals

A few great points made in your post!
Old 08-07-2009, 10:51 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

[QUOTE=stugots]100% correct. I'm not going to lie I have made some daring decisions before, such as going out monday on a 23 foot mako. It's a great boat that holds 160 gallons of fuel but it still is not the smartest idea. Me and the captain of the boat are very experienced anglers and had no problems on the way out or in but when I am 40 years old with a wife and kids, you aint catchin me out there in anything less than a 30 footer[/QUOTE

Talk about daring... I was out on Mon. as well, did you see the guy in the blue hulled center console with a single suzuki that was no bigger than 23 but was probably more like 20.... by himself!!!
Old 08-07-2009, 11:33 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Nice post Sal, Very important stuff.
Back in the day used to run a 23 footer out to the Mud Hole and well beyond for the Tuna. Although we only had a single engine I/O with a little common sense and preperation the trips were doable. The only pre-requisite to experience is COMMON SENSE when part of the "mosquito fleet"
1) Crew ALWAYS consisted of at least 2 capable captains or at least a second who could handle the boat if GF anything happened to the primary skipper and a good boat mechanic and no more than the boat can handle.
2) We AlWAYS had a "buddy" boat that was dual engine and at least 38' or larger that was headed to the same grounds or very close to it. Even as great as most capts are when it comes to helping outsomeone in danger its always best to have a plan ahead of time where u both know if anything goes wrong you already have someone lined up to help. This can be as simple as riding their wake back in the rough stuff.

In todays age with this site it should be even easier to line up the "buddy boat"

Again great post, be safe and catch-um up.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:17 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Picking weather & correct safety euiptment is of paramount importance. However even more important to me as having done this offshore deal in smaller boats knowing how your boat will handle in rough seas if encountered.
Somehow if your sloshing around in 6' footers in sight of land that's one thing,with 50 miles to go to get to your dock in same conditions is another.
One deal I learned early on was to run fast in the calm between seas, cut back on the big stuff. There would always seem to be areas of flat that this could be accomplished. Correct angle on the waves will help immensley evne if you get off course, you can always work your back. sometimes a slight course change can make the trip home a lot smoother.
Know your boat & how to use it in rough conditions is as basic as your equiptment choices to make those runs & get home safely. Remember if you go out there enough,chances are your gonna get caught ,proper boat handling can be as important as all the rest . The hull under you can take more than you,so always get a feel of how it handles on rough days. Don't have to fish just take a ride,it'll really boost your capabilities. Unfortunately not all boats will handle the same get to know what yours can do !