NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

LED lights - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 03-09-2014, 01:14 PM
dakota560

Default LED lights

This isn't a fishing report but fishing related so I've posted it here. If it needs to be moved I understand. We do quite a bit of night sharking during the season and an occasional overnight tuna trip. I currently have two Halogen spreader lights mounted towards the stern and was planning on swapping them out for LED's. Boat is a 27 Grady. Does anyone have opinions or recommendations regarding which type LED is best or how many I should consider installing. I was thinking about two mounted in the rocket launcher towards the stern and one each on port and starboard.

I'd appreciate anyone's opinions who may have made a similar change or has some perspective. I know the LED's draw quite a bit less charge and from what I understand throw off a stronger light. We currently carry a Honda generator, two flood lights and gas to fish the night and was hoping to replace the need for carrying all that with the right installation.

I appreciate anyone's help with this in advance.

Dakota
Old 03-09-2014, 06:18 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: LED lights

im not sure of a brand but leds should be brighter and use less energy to run,

not to hijack ur thread , but i would like opinions on cheap but good under water lights for trim tabs
Old 03-09-2014, 07:03 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I changed all the lights on my Grady over to LED several years ago, they draw next to nothing in power compared to the other lights.

Have 2 cockpit flood lights mounted on the rocket launcher.

Changed the 2 low curiosity lights to LED, also put 3 (x3) Led lights under the gunnel in the cock pit and wired them into the curiosity lights (these light up the cock puts enough where I don't need to put on the flood lights.

Also changed over the Anchor light and side markers.

You'll be glad you changed
Old 03-10-2014, 02:41 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

I'm told they use 1/3 the power of regular lights and bulbs last almost forever.

Bob - If you remember, what brand did you use?

Dakota - Thanks for bringing this up, I'm thinking about switching over too. We swapped out the dome light over our radio box last year and they are much brighter.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 03-10-2014, 09:03 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Gerry, the Flood lights are Taco, don't remember the others

B
Old 03-10-2014, 09:56 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Is anyone using the LED strip lights available now? Relatively inexpensive and bright. Looking to add to our cockpit area also and maybe a strip or two along the gunnel underneath the rails. Also looking to replace the light on the rocket launcher...saw one at West Marine that is actually a spreader spot light running from $84.99 to 119.99,,,,page 10 and some more on pg 11 of the current ad Back to the Blue if you receive it.
Supporter and Member of RFA/NJ
IGFA Member
www.sharkbite-bucktails.com
Old 03-11-2014, 08:31 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I changed over everything too: got the lumitec flood lights that are dimmable and two colors for spreaders, got the taco led bar/tube for over the t top, all courtesy/curiosity lights and inside the helm lights as well as 2mile nav lights in front and on top, very little drain even with all on. Best move ever and don't have to worry about a bulb burning out or connection to posts getting corroded, I like them mucho.
www.quality1stcompanies.com
Old 03-11-2014, 09:08 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfish28 View Post
I changed over everything too: got the lumitec flood lights that are dimmable and two colors for spreaders, got the taco led bar/tube for over the t top, all courtesy/curiosity lights and inside the helm lights as well as 2mile nav lights in front and on top, very little drain even with all on. Best move ever and don't have to worry about a bulb burning out or connection to posts getting corroded, I like them mucho.
Why does this ^^^ not surprise me D... You're always ahead of the curve and have the best and latest stuff.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 03-11-2014, 09:13 AM
dakota560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post
I'm told they use 1/3 the power of regular lights and bulbs last almost forever.

Bob - If you remember, what brand did you use?

Dakota - Thanks for bringing this up, I'm thinking about switching over too. We swapped out the dome light over our radio box last year and they are much brighter.
Gerry,

Thanks for providing a site where I can post a question about LED lights! It almost seems like a no brainer. I'm trying to figure out which is the best brand name to go with and how many lights would be appropriate. On night trips we run radar, fish finder, radio and two portable flood lights which we hang from the launchers and run to a Honda generator we place in the bow. We also run the battery charger all night off the generator. The set up works well, but you have the noise of the generator all night, we have to fill it at least once and maybe twice during the night and carry all the extra hardware. Filling a hot generator at night if you're bouncing around is no easy task!

I was hoping we could configure the lights to have as much if not more lighting and still be able to run the radar, fish finder and VHF radio from the battery which handles the electronics. Not sure I can but that's the plan so we can leave the generator, gas cans and flood lights at the dock! If we can't, I think it still makes sense to go with the LED's because regardless it sounds like they give off more light and the draw sounds negligible.

Dakota
Old 03-11-2014, 09:15 AM
dakota560

Guys,

Thanks for your input to my questions, It's been very helpful.

Dakota