NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Bay Boat - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 03-04-2013, 09:55 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Bay Boat

Another size question: what's an appropriate size boat for NJ bay fishing e.g. In Barnegat Bay?
Old 03-04-2013, 02:25 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Re: Bay Boat

Though to generalize in terms of size but I'd want something at least 16 feet under me and preferably something with higher gunwales then a row boat.
The bay can get churned up with steep chop and the higher gunwels will reduce your chances of getting swamped by waves.

If you just plan on crabbing on nice days and staying close a rowboat is fine...

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 03-04-2013, 05:43 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

One more - capable of inshore for blues / stripes?
Old 03-04-2013, 06:21 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Probably an 18 foot or so with some good horsepower to go along with it and pick your days. You need the extra horses to power over waves and for quick manuvering in the inlets. Nothing worse then being out on the ocean or or in an inlet with and underpowered boat. You also want to try and get something with a deeper vee hull to make the ride as smooth as possible.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 03-05-2013, 10:52 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Bay Boat... SPRAY

Caution on your deeper V. As Gerry points out a nider ride in chop. Deep V has a transom deadrise of 20 degrees or more.

The caution is deeper V has more draft. And unlike Raritan Bay, Barnie is dominated by much more shallow water. Aside from channels, deep water is only 5 feet. And the tidal drop is only about a foot.

Pick up a chart and you will see.

The channel at the south end off LBI is often bordered by a foot or less water right at low tide near the sticks.

Its VERY different from Raritan Bay dominated by 20 foor depths or more.

One thing my experience suggests is wise thought ... Barnie due to the regular afternoon winds and chop is something to dodge the spray.

The chop there is an annoyance and does not approach oceanic levels of safety concerns under an experienced operator. But you and everyone on board will be SOAKED. Spray hood, windshield something... or you will come back soaked in a windy head sea of 2-3 footers running 10 knots or less back to the dock.

Just my two cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopderbeck
Another size question: what's an appropriate size boat for NJ bay fishing e.g. In Barnegat Bay?
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber
Old 03-05-2013, 01:53 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I've got a 21ft with a deep V. 2100DC with a 200 outboard. For a bay/inshore, i'd go with a nice 19-21ft and def get an outboard. Yes I rub bottom a lot when fluke fishing with the deep V in Barny bay, but I just simply lift my motor and away I go. You'll appreciate the stableness of the deep v in the ocean. esp when you run off a little ways trolling for bass, wreck fishing, etc. Run the channel a few times and save the track in your gps so you never get lost, then just be careful and you should be fine. If in doubt, STOP and figure out where you are. Every trip it seems I see guys running around with their heads turning left to right no idea where they are and watch them run up on the sand bar. Then gun the motor to try and get off... smh... oh and don't follow me! I run the cuts and if you go 10ft in either direction you'll run aground! You've been warned! lol.

Last edited by MrAC1980; 03-05-2013 at 01:56 PM..