NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

O/B Question - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 07-20-2009, 08:03 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: O/B Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Frank
You want a sleep aboard? You're going to be paying and lugging around a few thousand pounds more boat.

You doing Canyons? Need seaworthiness for the possible beatings you run into from time to time. I loved by 25' Grady. It was twin 200's and had a cuddy cabin. Ok to sleep on, but spending a weekend was taxing.

My favorite ( If I hit the lottery) had been a 31' Rampage with diesels. Canyon range and marginal comfort.

The trend now is for FAST Center Consoles or non-walkaround cuddys with a shit load of O/B's ( 3 or more) on the back. Deep V and cruise in the 40's with top speeds near 60-70 knots. No more 5 or 6 hours party boat runs for you. Three hours to Hudson Canyon. You could leave the dock in Belmar after work at 5PM and be hooked up at Hudson before the sun even goes down. Wild! But BIG $$$ on engines. Ironically O/B's too.

Any bigger than low 30 foot range, in my opinion, the boat is too hard to run yourself with docking and stuff. You fishing alone may be the decider here on what size works. Forget 38's, 36's. I ran a 32' and that was scramble to dock alone, or have landlubbers who are clueless and just stand in the way.

Capt private message me if you have any thoughts. OK?

Capt. Frank
I would stay away from Rampages personally. They tend to pound alot. Penn
Old 07-20-2009, 08:16 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

For an example..

http://www.boats.com/boat-details/in...known/19315941

http://www.boats.com/boat-details/in...Meter/15415481

i like this one the most http://www.boats.com/boat-details/in...y-%21/19435161

I have the CC with twin engines,got the speed but don't need it anymore.

Now, comfort. I will be going solo occasionally, but mostly will have at least 1 other. I will not head to the canyons but will head to the Mud bouy and offshore, but not as far as the canyons. Mostly along the beach. Don't need speed. I am looking to stay in it overnight at the dock. There were times I sleep in my truck the night before a early fishing trip, but back pain says I can't do that anymore.

I am not looking for too much of a boat. I see alot of nice rides up to the $25k mark, but I have to go into the 1980's.

Idealy I want no bigger then a 31', like you said. Any bigger and I need a crew, but since I am looking for used, I have to take what I can find within my price range.

Last edited by Luna Sea 3; 07-20-2009 at 08:33 PM..
Old 07-20-2009, 08:33 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Luna, that bayliner is not a good choice. It has alot of creature comforts, but is probably underpowered. In that price range I would go for an 80's 28ft Topaz. They are limeted in comforts but a great ride and with gas motors you can find some deals. Just mahe sure you buy a quality hull. If you like outboards you may be able to get a Stamas. They are a solid hull and come in larger sizes with outboards. You have alot to think about and consider what trade-off's you are willing to live with. Good Luck
Old 07-20-2009, 08:41 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Go with I/B diesels, they usually rust out before they wear out. Gas or diesels I/B's = lots more maintenance compared to outboards. Join the site; Boatdiesel.com for $25 a year and they will answer all your questions when needed. In anything over 28 feet go with diesels they will give a lot more torque which is a lifesaver in heavy seas and twice the fuel economy over gas. Also you can burn home heating oil and get a delivery to the boat. Outboards do have the speed, I/B have a fishable transom, which is the biggest positive, I think. Had both and still miss my Mako so don't get me wrong. It's a give and take.

Mike
Old 07-21-2009, 07:51 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

My neighbor is selling his 30' Sports Craft with inboards, cabin, tuna tower. Boat is in great shape. Don't know what he is asking. He's right across the street from your brothers in-laws in Lanoka Harbor.
Barnegat Inlet
Lanoka Harbor, NJ
Old 07-21-2009, 07:56 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Here it is...

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...press-90932413
Barnegat Inlet
Lanoka Harbor, NJ
Old 07-21-2009, 10:43 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

The Luhrs is a nice boat. Problem is you docking solo. How fast can you jump off the flybridge backing down in the slip and grab lines? That is without killing yourself if you slip ontheway. Fly bridges all have that issue.

Many flybridge boats like that have another exterior helm station (throttles and wheel) on the main deck right next to the ladder going up the flybridge. That way no ladders and you're only a few feet from the transom for seeing and grabbing lines docking easily. The hi ender flybridge styles like Vikings, Jerseys, Hateras etc. almost all have this set up.

My 25' Grady White was chosen by me just for the reason you mentioned- sleep on boat. Had shore power with 120VAC heat & TV. Nice for one person. A bit tight to two to sleep on. You wake at 2AM on boat get a coffee at WaWa and then leave dock. No 1 or 2 hour drives to get to the boat in the wee hours. You're there the night before. But no shower if you stay a few nights. I used to do whole weekend down Shark River. Drive down day time Friday with supplies. Fish Sat & Sun. Hits Kelly's a few times. Ah the good old days. )

I have to stop writing before I start crying. LMAO

Also starting thinking about single engine boats too. There are quite a few used True World Marine boats with single engine diesels out there ( I think Yanmar diesels -but not sure). It ain't real fast but will run for years( I think some one said: they rust before they bust- or something like that).

Capt. Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Sea 3
For an example..

Now, comfort. I will be going solo occasionally, but mostly will have at least 1 other. I will not head to the canyons but will head to the Mud bouy and offshore, but not as far as the canyons. Mostly along the beach. Don't need speed. I am looking to stay in it overnight at the dock. There were times I sleep in my truck the night before a early fishing trip, but back pain says I can't do that anymore.

I am not looking for too much of a boat. I see alot of nice rides up to the $25k mark, but I have to go into the 1980's.

Idealy I want no bigger then a 31', like you said. Any bigger and I need a crew, but since I am looking for used, I have to take what I can find within my price range.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:07 AM
Site Moderator

Nicky's got shower facilities at his marina

You'd look GOOD with the family; wife, kids and Uncle Luna in that boat Nick!
NJ DEVILS
Old 07-21-2009, 12:23 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

thanks for all the help and advice. you said exactly what I want to do. Sleep over, not drive in the wee hours of the night, just wake up and go. AH does have a great set up with showers, etc.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:53 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Sea 3
For an example..

http://www.boattrader.com/browse/make/topaz/topaz-29/
Topaz is a great boat. I had 2. 1 with gas , 1 with diesels It was a 29 with a tower, kitchenette, small refrig, bath & shower, 230 gals fuel. Great boat.