NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Repowering Questions - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 04-25-2014, 08:47 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Repowering Questions

I have a 22 foot Stratos Cuddy that I had a 200 Ocean Pro for power. It had a ton of hours on it and puked a cylinder and is gone. Looking to move up to a 250 E-tec. Boat is rated to 280HP. So here are my questions and I appreciate your opinions.
1. Is it worth going to the 250 vs say a 225 or 200?
2. Is there any kind of big problems if I go to a 300 say with the CG. Is 20HP really that big of a deal?
3. Where have you had repowering done on your boats and where in the range of say Pt. Pleasant to the Highlands or even Lake Hopatcong area would you recommend for this type of project?

Thanks Again,

Doc
Old 04-25-2014, 10:00 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Repowering Questions

I would see pricing. Most people have a cap. The difference between a 225 and 300 is nothing to sneeze at.

Going over capacity plate requires you notify insurance co too- since it's out of specs.

Also do you want to do 4 strokes? Sea Tow has been getting SEVERAL 1000 hours out of their 4 stroke Suzukis down in FL. Most 2 strokes are ticking time bombs when they hit 1000 hours.

But now you're talking $25,000 motors.

MONMOUTH MARINE in Port Monmouth was our repower go to guys. EXCELLENT~
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber

Last edited by Capt. Debbie; 04-25-2014 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 04-25-2014, 02:30 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

you dont wanna go over the CG rating, get that out of your head for several reasons. Main one is if theres ever any kind of accident u will be denied insurance for being overpowered and liability is right on you no matter what happened, I read about this same thing on a walleye site on lake eire.

Honestly a repower is very simple, I jsut did one late last summer. I had a merc and went w a 150 opti. did it myself in 2 hours, just needed a 9 to 14 pin adapter and an oil tank. If your interested in an opti I got mine for 8500 cash and carry in LI, smoking deal I can give u his info (dealer).

If you are keeping the boat and/or also thinking resale down the road, 4 strokes are a big selling point. Shop around find the best deal you can, sometimes its even cheaper to switch brands and get a control and harness it ends up being cheaper in the end. I agree w the suzuki comment, I have a 40 4stroke on my little boat and its an awesome engine, I would buy one in a heartbeat. I did see a dealer advertising yammies on craigslist for 25% off in belmar on shark river, look them up. Id bet any dealer would sell u the motor and let u install yourself (if capable or a buddy) and just let them check it out and make the final connections and honor the warranty and save some money. Remember that any 200-250 is gonna go 15k ballpark, thats alot of cash. I know a guy who bought a boat off Clist just for the motor, it was worth more than the boat. Etecs are good, all the major brands are good anymore, 4strokes are great on fuel and no oil to buy either. If it were me Id max it out w a 250, just a little bit more cash than a 200 but fuel savings and power if you need it, you will someday
Old 05-13-2014, 12:21 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I have the 21 Stratus DC with your same engine. I'm guessing the transom and engine are setup the same way as mine. I saw your other post about replacing your transom as well. My biggest concern as I've also considered doing what you plan to do is the weight. I know when I'm fully loaded with fuel, coolers/ice, rods, people, my boat squats like hell. I've even dove off my boat with three guys and doubles and its even worse! Hanging a bracket off the back with an engine that may even be more heavier I forsea being an issue. That bow is going to sky rocket from a dead stop. Not sure if this is true, but I've heard the 4strokes are even a bit heavier then our 2strokes? Another thing to consider is my boat moves pretty well even loaded with an old tired 200, a brand new engine is going to be a lot more powerful, so is going up really necessary?
Hope this makes sense and helps at all. Please make sure to take lots of pictures of your upgrades!! Before, during and after!! And of course report back to us!
Old 05-14-2014, 12:18 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks for the advice Gentlemen. I am not going to put the motor on a bracket and I do have trim tabs to help balance out the boat. My boat does the same as yours as far as the weight and ride. When fully loaded with fuel and ice it is a bit heavy but a very comfortable ride and I have never had a handling problem even when fully loaded.

I got the boat out from under the cover for the first time in over 2 years and yea it was a mess despite the tarp. Spent the afternoon scrubbing power washing and waxing and it all came up nice. Next is getting all the "stuff" off of the transom. I just need the time and the weather to be good on the same days and I will be all set.