NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Fly Fishing - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 03-10-2018, 01:02 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Fly Fishing

I have decided to get a fly pole and now its times to buy some flies. So far, I am unable to find a hatch chart for the Black River. If anyone can provide a chart or point me to the best flies for this river, I would be most appreciative. Also, where is everyone buying flies online? I am looking at the theflystop and a few others.

Lastly, does it make sense to buy size 14 and 16 for the same fly? I looked at a few today and the size looks the same. Maybe I need a new pair of glasses...

Thanks again for the help!

Rick
Old 03-10-2018, 02:10 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Fly Fishing

Tommy at the Sporting Life in Whitehouse has some fly gear and flies. Give him a call. I'm sure he could point you in the right direction.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:22 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Size 14 are the biggest you want to go, you should have the same fly in sizes 14, 16, 18, and 20. Hares Ear, Pheasant tail, flashback Pheasant tail, Scuds, Stone Fly, and Caddis. In the warmer weather get a screen kick over the rocks in the faster water, match what you find in the screen. My kids would hold it open, and I'd go up stream a little and kick over the rocks. Musky in Hackettstown has good stone fly's, scud, caddis. Hope this helps, I also tie and sell flies using the best material you can get. Oh a White Marabou streamer usually catches the biggest trout. If you need some flies, pm me
Old 03-10-2018, 04:39 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

I have added the White Maraboa to the list.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:15 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I would suggest talking to someone at your local fly shop. Tight Lines Fly Fishing, in Fairfield, Shannon's Fly Shop in Califon, Sporting Life in Whitehouse are all excellent. They guys in those shops can point you in the right direction.

My favorite general purpose flies would include Hares Ear, Pheasant tail in sizes 14, 16, 18 and also a black Wooly Bugger.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:43 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Get some wooly buggers black, brown, and olive size 8 and 10. Grey Ghost streamers in those same sizes too. Fish them quartering downstream on a tight line swing. You can also work the in small 2-3 inch strips to add action to the swinging fly. Basically you fish them similar to how you would a lure or jig just with fly gear.

Also good advice to stop in a shop like Shannon's or Tight Lines. They hook you up with good fies for early season. Once you get a basis of what flies you like to fish you can order them online. I use fly shack or cabelas mostly.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:20 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Blue Wing Olives - loop wing, various sizes, black stones, Tan and brown caddis. As far as hatch charts, should be similar to the South Branch of the Raritan, timing will obvious vary, but will be close enough.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:32 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

I am using the South Branch chart for guidance.

Appreciate all of the help. This is going to be fun to get out there a catch a few.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:28 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

You could also look into joining one of NJ's Trout Unlimited chapters. There is a Hacklebarney Chapter, the Black River runs through Hacklebarney State Park so there's probably a wealth of knowledge there. I know my TU chapter sells flies for good price, others probably do something similar. Good luck.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:39 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

http://www.cjtu.org/

Been a member fer yrs....git er done ,join up and make a differance