NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

2018 Freshwater Digest - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 01-09-2018, 06:35 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: 2018 Freshwater Digest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookmanski View Post
A few years back the hatchery had an issue with a disease that really affected the browns.

http://www.nj.com/warrenreporter/ind..._brown_br.html
Im aware of that. But from what Ive heard they stopped stocking them due to other reasons?
Old 01-09-2018, 08:33 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

The NJF&W Div. stopped stocking browns because they no longer raise any since the furunculosis outbreak at the Pequest hatchery. In time they may begin rearing browns again but a number of things have to occur before we get to that juncture.
Personally I'd like to see the return of browns to our stocked waters that are capable of holdover. I like their attitude, I like having some diversity in my quarry on a given stream and I prefer to fish waters larger than most of our WTS's are. Hence the reason myself and a few friends pool our resources each year and stock a 100 or so browns and tigers into a couple miles of a NJ trout stream to add some diversity to the state rainbow stockings.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:25 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B. View Post
The NJF&W Div. stopped stocking browns because they no longer raise any since the furunculosis outbreak at the Pequest hatchery. In time they may begin rearing browns again but a number of things have to occur before we get to that juncture.
Personally I'd like to see the return of browns to our stocked waters that are capable of holdover. I like their attitude, I like having some diversity in my quarry on a given stream and I prefer to fish waters larger than most of our WTS's are. Hence the reason myself and a few friends pool our resources each year and stock a 100 or so browns and tigers into a couple miles of a NJ trout stream to add some diversity to the state rainbow stockings.
Thanks Dave but Im just wondering about RV specifically. When did they stop stocking browns there? 2015 when the furunculosis became an issue or earlier? I heard the brown trout there were killer so just wondering if just after 3 years of no stocking you see effects.

And I like that bonus stocking you do to supplement the waters. Highly appreciate that effort.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:54 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmyorke1 View Post
Thanks Dave but Im just wondering about RV specifically. When did they stop stocking browns there? 2015 when the furunculosis became an issue or earlier? I heard the brown trout there were killer so just wondering if just after 3 years of no stocking you see effects.

And I like that bonus stocking you do to supplement the waters. Highly appreciate that effort.
I bet you can get this question answered at the Forum on 1/20 since they are talking RV Inventory.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:09 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmyorke1 View Post
Im aware of that. But from what Ive heard they stopped stocking them due to other reasons?
The party answer is the disease at the hatchery. From whispers I've heard over the years browns are slightly more difficult (i.e. expensive) for the hatchery to raise. Now they have a ready made excuse not to stock them.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:58 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Furunculosis = The Answer.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:58 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I don’t believe furunculosis is the exact answer! Neighboring states stock Browns with the disease constantly and consistently year after year! On top of that they still have a thriving wild trout population.........
Old 01-11-2018, 09:46 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTEDDIE29 View Post
I don’t believe furunculosis is the exact answer! Neighboring states stock Browns with the disease constantly and consistently year after year! On top of that they still have a thriving wild trout population.........
Correct.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:23 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTEDDIE29 View Post
It is the exact answer.

The powers that be in NJDF&W decided that they did not want to take the chance of stocking the hatchery trout that were carrying furunculosis.

The neighboring states decided to take that chance.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:27 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
It is the exact answer.

The powers that be in NJDF&W decided that they did not want to take the chance of stocking the hatchery trout that were carrying furunculosis.

The neighboring states decided to take that chance.
Sounds alright to me. I just hope browns are clear to be re-introduced to the stocking program soon, I guess they're waiting for all signs of furunculosis to clear out of the hatchery?

Maybe they'll be re-introduced into RV?