NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Beginner eel fishing help. Thanks - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing Use this board to post all general salt water fishing information. Please use the appropriate boards below for all other information. General information about sailing times, charter availability and open boats trips can be found and should be posted in the open boat forum.

Old 10-14-2019, 09:24 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Beginner eel fishing help. Thanks

I was hoping some of you could help me out with some tips on how to eel fish for striper near liberty state park. Do you typically anchor up while using the eels or just drift around? Do you typically want you eel to be on the bottom or higher in the water column? How much weight do you typically use?

Really appreciate any hints or tips you guys can throw my way. Thanks
Old 10-14-2019, 12:31 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Talking Re: Beginner eel fishing help. Thanks

Tons of videos on this topic on You Tube.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:21 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Beginner eel fishing help. Thanks

I use winter flounder hooks, bank sinkers and blood worms in the Shrewsbury. Usually from a dock preferably or from shore near bridge abutments. I like the inbound tideI use my oldest gear (spinning), lots of rags needed and bring a second bucket with dry sand. Put your hand in the sand before grabbing your catch. Eel pots are very effective if you're looking for meat. Crushed clams and mussels are good baits but horseshoe crab eggs are best.
Think horseshoe eggs are now prohibited. Hope this helps.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:14 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

There were about a hundred boats eeling by Robbins Reef on Sunday, a couple of miles south of the Statue. I didn't have any eels but everybody did. They used about 4' leaders with 4 ounce bank sinkers on 4' droppers. I would use a Gamagatsu circle hook through the eel's lips. I didn't see anyone catch anything when I was there, about 9 AM, I think you need to be there earlier.

I hear it's good up by the UN as well.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:21 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

When using eels for striped bass it’s best to drift. Make sure you have good moving water either tide or current as that will dictate the bite.

Basic rig is known as a 3 X 3 rig. Tie your main line to one eye of a 3-way swivel. To another eye of the swivel tie a 20” piece of mono with a surgeon’s loop at the opposite end (this is for your sinker, use enough weigh to get to the bottom). To then the third eye of the swivel tie a 36-40” length of leader to a snelled 6/0-7/0 Octopus style hook. I like to hook the eel through the top of the mouth and out one eye.

NOTE: the above rig can also be used when drifting sand or blood worms for bass-just use a 3/0-5/0 baitholder style hook. Drifting worms for bass is a lost art IMHO.

When you feel a pick tip, drop the tip of your rod to allow to bass to inhale the eel & when you feel weight or the line come tight set the hook.

Best way to keep eels is to place them in a bucket then take that bucket and either place it inside another bucket that has ice in it or place into a cooler. NEVER allow the eels to touch the melted ice water. The coldness of the ice will slow down the eels (almost making them appear lifeless)-thus making them easier to hook. Use a terry cloth type rag to grab an eel and hook it. Once in the sea water, the eel “will come back to life”.

One other tip, if you catch an bass on an eel and get that eel back-definitely use it again for bait. For whatever reason, bass go crazy for an eel that has already caught a bass.

Last edited by Skolmann; 10-14-2019 at 08:29 PM..
Old 10-14-2019, 06:59 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Ditto. Well written.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:09 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Awesome. Thanks for the info. Gonna head out now. Tricky part now is finding a ramp to launch the boat without getting ticketed after dark
Old 10-15-2019, 07:11 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

If you're moving or repeating your drift, lower your hooked live eel, tail first, into a 2 foot piece of 1 to 1 1/4" PVC pipe kept vertical. When given a chance eels will turn your rig into a useless ball of slime with them embedded in it.

Last edited by Blind Archer; 10-15-2019 at 07:14 PM..
Old 10-16-2019, 08:47 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Archer View Post
If you're moving or repeating your drift, lower your hooked live eel, tail first, into a 2 foot piece of 1 to 1 1/4" PVC pipe kept vertical. When given a chance eels will turn your rig into a useless ball of slime with them embedded in it.
No that's a great tip right there!!

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area