NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Raritan Bay Striper Closure - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing Use this board to post all general salt water fishing information. Please use the appropriate boards below for all other information. General information about sailing times, charter availability and open boats trips can be found and should be posted in the open boat forum.

Old 01-24-2020, 04:34 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Raritan Bay Striper Closure

Saw on some Facebook pages people were discussing the possibility of closing the Raritan Bay Striper Fishery in the early spring in order possibly get more favorable state wide regulations. Has anyone seen or heard anything official on this?

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 01-24-2020, 05:55 PM
Site Sponsor

Default Re: Raritan Bay Striper Closure

I made some phone calls earlier in the week to see if I could find out any details. From what I was told they were trying to work it out that there would be no closure. A possibility of not being able to retain a larger fish until a certain time (example: no fish over 35" until 5/15). However they were still waiting to hear from the state and work out details with them with size regulations seasons.
http://www.bndcharterfishing.com
https://www.facebook.com/Fisher-Pric...3803312657223/

Sailing daily from Twin Lights Marina, Highlands.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:37 PM
dakota560

Gerry I heard from someone in NY last week there's discussions of a closure in lower NY Harbor which includes some portions of Raritan Bay / Sandy Hook in the early spring. He didn't have all the details and decisions haven't been made but discussions along those lines are occurring. NJ has an open season for stripers, NY doesn't. To make matters more complicated they have different season lengths based on points north and south of the GW, one starts 4/1, the other 4/15.

The regulations are all over the board, so whatever the outcome of those discussions are might in fact impact portions of the Bay based on where the line is drawn.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:08 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

From what I’ve heard so far this was an idea that was brought up and decided against. Please continue to follow so there are no surprises.

Gerry Zagorski <><

NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 01-25-2020, 10:41 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota560 View Post
Gerry I heard from someone in NY last week there's discussions of a closure in lower NY Harbor which includes some portions of Raritan Bay / Sandy Hook in the early spring. He didn't have all the details and decisions haven't been made but discussions along those lines are occurring. NJ has an open season for stripers, NY doesn't. To make matters more complicated they have different season lengths based on points north and south of the GW, one starts 4/1, the other 4/15.

The regulations are all over the board, so whatever the outcome of those discussions are might in fact impact portions of the Bay based on where the line is drawn.
This would have to be done by the Federal Government as NY has nothing to do with Sandy Hook and almost all of Raritan Bay. Where is the boundry line in the Hudson River? We need much more info on this. NY and NJ will never get together on anything!

100 Ton Master
Semi Retired
Old 01-25-2020, 12:21 PM
dakota560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post
From what I’ve heard so far this was an idea that was brought up and decided against. Please continue to follow so there are no surprises.
Unfortunately fisheries management and surprises are terms synonymous with one another!

Last edited by dakota560; 01-25-2020 at 12:38 PM..
Old 01-25-2020, 12:33 PM
dakota560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Sal View Post
This would have to be done by the Federal Government as NY has nothing to do with Sandy Hook and almost all of Raritan Bay. Where is the boundry line in the Hudson River? We need much more info on this. NY and NJ will never get together on anything!
Capt. Sal,

I'll try getting more information but my belief is this is being driven at the NY state level as part of CE to meet 2020 regulations. NY's regulations currently are divided as shown by the first link and there are in fact different regulations in place for Hudson River and points north of the GWB and marine waters south of the GWB with different seasons. I believe it's the seasons difference, April 1st in one case and April 15th in the other, causing the issue. Maybe NY is trying to barter giving up 15 days in the bay to gain somewhere else. Just speculation so don't run with that but it would be my guess. Fellow I spoke with is well informed so this is not hearsay, it came from a meeting recently attended. He mentioned there's a possibility of the lower NY Bay being impacted with a closure in the spring. Second link identifies the area the lower NY Bay covers labelled "6". Looks like the mouth of the VZ out into parts of Ambrose.

If I find out more, I'll post it here.

https://www.onthewater.com/news/2015...ng-regulations

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lower_..._Schorzman.png

Last edited by dakota560; 01-25-2020 at 12:37 PM..
Old 01-25-2020, 05:45 PM
Site Sponsor

NY is currently looking at a May 1st opener from friends i talked to who were at the last NY meeting.
http://www.bndcharterfishing.com
https://www.facebook.com/Fisher-Pric...3803312657223/

Sailing daily from Twin Lights Marina, Highlands.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:35 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Suggesting that we close down a fishery in NJ we all sacrificed to rebuild is complete nonsense PERIOD END OF STATEMENT!!

Gerry Zagorski <><

NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 01-26-2020, 07:25 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post
Suggesting that we close down a fishery in NJ we all sacrificed to rebuild is complete nonsense PERIOD END OF STATEMENT!!
Double edged sword here in NJ due to we want to fish for them while they are here .
But killing fish during their prime spawning season if the dumbest thing we can do .
We shouldn’t be keeping any fish during their spawn .

And while many lived through the rebuilding , we also see if something doesn’t change it was all for nothing .

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club