NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

11/6-7 Gambler 36hr tuna - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing Use this board to post all general salt water fishing information. Please use the appropriate boards below for all other information. General information about sailing times, charter availability and open boats trips can be found and should be posted in the open boat forum.

Old 11-08-2019, 11:52 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default 11/6-7 Gambler 36hr tuna

NOAA was mostly spot on with forecast for this trip...Ride out to our spot was with cool air temps and an almost perfect "tuna chop"...2 minutes after start fishing whistle blew I had the first runoff---a nice blue shark--yep, that started it, another day & night with the blue dogs. First afternoon's drift in 65*+ water produced a 40# yellow & a 60# bird. We finished the drift @ evening and Bob took us to an anchor spot for the night in 66* water. Other than the blues, 1 60# bird boated and a sword pup released. Wind died to "light and variable" with an almost glassy sea on long period ocean swells. Porpoise showed throughout the night along with the catchable squid, a couple of free-swimming mahi, some ballyhoo type fish and a few Portuguese Man-of-war jellyfish drifted by. Morning and early afternoon produced more yellows and birds for a total catch of 21 tuna---8 longfin, 13 yellowfin; all longfin were 50-65# (big 'n round), yellowfin were all 35-45# (fat 'n tender). About half the tuna were on jigs---more than half the yellowfin were on jigs. After the sun was full up, the breeze gradually increased to a South wind with some 7-8' shorter period swells making for a very bumpy ride in 'til we were about an hour out. Looks like the tuna are finally here if we can just get out there with a weather window. Kudos to Capt. Bob for the call & 2nd Capt.'s Greg, Todd and mates Nico & Jill(chef & office manager). Congrats to her for her first jigged tuna...well done!
Bob has one more unscheduled trip--a 24hr leaving next Wednesday night 8:00, returning Thursday night 8:00 ---weather permitting and enough guys sign on for the trip. I'm going, how about you???
John M. missed and always remembered
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead (Jimmy Buffett)

Last edited by Pennsy Guy; 11-08-2019 at 04:31 PM..
Old 11-09-2019, 09:07 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: 11/6-7 Gambler 36hr tuna

I was also on the 36 hour trip. Great Crew, Great Boat. Ended up with a large longfin and 3 Blue dogs. Almost every bait I put down was hit by something. I believe I had two sword runoffs without success. One crazy long run almost spooled me. cranked down on the drag and gone. Still an exciting 15 min battle. Never slowed or turned. Great time out there. Considering the trip next week if the weather cooperates. If you have yet to catch a tuna, Now is the time.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:16 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsy Guy View Post
NOAA was mostly spot on with forecast for this trip...Ride out to our spot was with cool air temps and an almost perfect "tuna chop"...2 minutes after start fishing whistle blew I had the first runoff---a nice blue shark--yep, that started it, another day & night with the blue dogs. First afternoon's drift in 65*+ water produced a 40# yellow & a 60# bird. We finished the drift @ evening and Bob took us to an anchor spot for the night in 66* water. Other than the blues, 1 60# bird boated and a sword pup released. Wind died to "light and variable" with an almost glassy sea on long period ocean swells. Porpoise showed throughout the night along with the catchable squid, a couple of free-swimming mahi, some ballyhoo type fish and a few Portuguese Man-of-war jellyfish drifted by. Morning and early afternoon produced more yellows and birds for a total catch of 21 tuna---8 longfin, 13 yellowfin; all longfin were 50-65# (big 'n round), yellowfin were all 35-45# (fat 'n tender). About half the tuna were on jigs---more than half the yellowfin were on jigs. After the sun was full up, the breeze gradually increased to a South wind with some 7-8' shorter period swells making for a very bumpy ride in 'til we were about an hour out. Looks like the tuna are finally here if we can just get out there with a weather window. Kudos to Capt. Bob for the call & 2nd Capt.'s Greg, Todd and mates Nico & Jill(chef & office manager). Congrats to her for her first jigged tuna...well done!
Bob has one more unscheduled trip--a 24hr leaving next Wednesday night 8:00, returning Thursday night 8:00 ---weather permitting and enough guys sign on for the trip. I'm going, how about you???
Thanks for the report. If anyone deserves a good Tuna trip its YOU. Gambler is a great operation from top to bottom and your passion for these tuna trips is admirable to say the least. I hope you get out again and you , Capt Bob and entire Gambler crew have success. Nice Job
Old 11-09-2019, 05:32 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dales529 View Post
Thanks for the report. If anyone deserves a good Tuna trip its YOU. Gambler is a great operation from top to bottom and your passion for these tuna trips is admirable to say the least. I hope you get out again and you , Capt Bob and entire Gambler crew have success. Nice Job
Dales, thanks for that...I'm kinda' like Sandro on the .com...if I could, I'd live out there...problem is the lunch barge doesn't make year-round deliveries...LOL Hopefully we'll make one more trip to wrap up the year's tuna fishing.
John M. missed and always remembered
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead (Jimmy Buffett)