NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Report 5/9/19: - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 05-09-2019, 08:21 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Report 5/9/19:

Original plan was to get up early and drive up to N.Y. and fish the Beaverkill. I'll do anything at this point to find clear water with trout in it ! BUT I forgot I had plans in the early afternoon so those plans were squashed as I would like to go North with no time restraints. Got up early anyway and since it is the month of May and the Raritan river was running quite high I figured it would at least be worth a try. Starting to feel like a broken record with this high and muddy water, I mean a little rain every now and then is good but this just seems ridiculous now. Tried 2 spots that looked "fishy" but came up empty handed. Thinking back over the years if you fished the Raritan river at high water in May it was almost a given that you would hook up. Feeling something was amiss and upset to see the lack of striped bass in the river I contacted a local NJF expert on this subject and he reassured me that the fish were there, and in good numbers. Typical striped bass as they will feed like crazy some days and not feed at all on others.
Figured since it was still early I would take a drive around and see how the other half lives. Stopped over at the Lamington and even that was muddy. Made my way up along the South Branch near High Bridge. Saw 4 guys fishing "the tunnel" one guy had no less that 10 jars of Power Cheese lined up on the concrete !! Lots of people fishing the upper South Branch. Saw everything from fly fishermen to more people dead sticking Power Cheese.
I saw NJ American Water employees cleaning the fish ladder the other day. Also have been in touch with Rutgers and the live feed camera blew a chip and they are working on getting it replaced. They may have to pull the cameras again Sunday as another 1 to 2 inches of rain is predicted, that's all we need. !!
Still have clean ups to look forward to, (if the rain ever stops)
May 18th - Green Brook Park, Plainfield - 9:30 - 12:30
June 29th - Rahway River, Rahway - 9:30 - 12:30
July 20th - South Branch, Hillsborough/Branchburg - TBD
August 24th - Raritan River & Riverside Park, Piscataway - 8:30 - 2:00
September 7th - Millstone River, Hillsborough/Franklin - TBD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1547.JPG
Views:	395
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	133213   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1548.JPG
Views:	384
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	133214   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1544.JPG
Views:	402
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	133215  

Last edited by AndyS; 05-10-2019 at 06:39 PM..
Old 05-09-2019, 10:02 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Report 5/9/19:

I haven't gotten much stripers in that spot lately, ive been doing well in other spots downstream. Perhaps this is because its still early and the bass aren't as pushed up as far,in numbers? Maybe some seasons they just get lazy :P

Caught this yesterday waaay downstream. And today went a bit further up and only hooked up with a dink smallie and white perch.

They really like slooooow retrieves, almost dead sticking it in the current. Would suggest that over reeling it through the water.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:52 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Report 5/9/19:

thanks for the info