NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Party boat rod holder question - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing Use this board to post all general salt water fishing information. Please use the appropriate boards below for all other information. General information about sailing times, charter availability and open boats trips can be found and should be posted in the open boat forum.

Old 09-14-2020, 07:16 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Party boat rod holder question

I'm looking to head out on the Big Jamaica again in a couple weeks and would like to make up a couple of outrodders. Can somebody please tell me how tall I need to make them? I need the distance from the top of the rail to the top of the rod holder.
Thanks in advance.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:12 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Party boat rod holder question

You should check with the Capt to see if they are allowed on the boat before you build one.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:17 PM
NJFishing.com Member

I was on once and a bunch of people had them. Guess I can email him. But I didn't want to be a bother.
Old 09-18-2020, 05:09 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Emailed them but haven't heard back. Got my ticket for Oct 22-23rd. Nobody on here has an outrodder they can throw a tape measure on? I would greatly appreciate any help I can get.
Thanks,
Josh
Old 09-18-2020, 12:12 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Unless your swordfishing on the up-current side away from the crowd I wouldn't use one. They also get in the way when others are fishing around them or playing fish. Try and get around one when your flying down the rail with a hot fish. Deadsticking isn't the best way to fish tuna. Bait spins in the current when the the reel is locked up. If your line isn't going out then it should be coming in. I have seen way to many fish lost while the customer tried to get the rod out of the holder. Saw one International 50 dropped and lost while using one. This is just my opinion.
Old 09-20-2020, 06:41 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I agree with Ol Pedro plus I'm sure the Big J's holders don't have a stop pin @ the bottom so your outlooker's angled horizontal sleeve will rest on the rail & will not stay @90° to rail. To remedy that you will need to weld a half rail piece to the outlooker's horizontal where it rests on the boat's rail or secure it to the rail with cordage or a bungee which is a half-naked solution. You need the distance from rail to bottom of boat's holder & distance from your vertical to rail for the 1/2rail piece. Hope that helps..
John M. missed and always remembered
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead (Jimmy Buffett)
Old 09-21-2020, 06:46 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

x2 what Ol Pedro said.All they do is get in the way.Work your bait!
Old 09-21-2020, 07:16 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Pedro View Post
Unless your swordfishing on the up-current side away from the crowd I wouldn't use one. They also get in the way when others are fishing around them or playing fish. Try and get around one when your flying down the rail with a hot fish. Deadsticking isn't the best way to fish tuna. Bait spins in the current when the the reel is locked up. If your line isn't going out then it should be coming in. I have seen way to many fish lost while the customer tried to get the rod out of the holder. Saw one International 50 dropped and lost while using one. This is just my opinion.
That being said, he'll probably hook up locked and loaded and win the pool. Was out recently, rental locks the bail at the depth called out, hooks up, line screaming out, figures he'll adjust the drag but instead opens the bail.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:16 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Why leave anything to chance? I try to take luck out of the equasion. Having your line in the water, rigging your bait correctly, and using the right weight/leader combination are not as effective when it's deadsticked. It's your trip do what you want. I want you to be successful. In 54 years of fishing tuna I have only caught 1 deadsticking. I was untangling my line from 2 others and felt the bite. Good luck. Please let us know how you do.
Old 09-22-2020, 04:49 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Thanks for the replies. I was planning on starting a new post but maybe I'll just do it here. Mods give me hell if this is wrong. I've been out once on the Jamaica. Have all my own gear now and I think I'm ok there. I'm sure we can leave that discussion for a million other threads. I'm here to learn not to argue.

Thanks for your input Ol Pedro as well as others. My interest is in catching fish too. I think my gear is fine and I know how to rig a butterfish. Have 80# and 50# FC for chunk leaders and I'm going to try my hand at jigging with some Shimano BF jigs. Last time I went all the rentals had an 8oz egg sinker above the swivel. I bought a bunch of sinkers after the trip. Should I use weight, no, or less weight? I've seen a lot of posts say to fish it weightless. My worry is getting tangled if I'm doing something drastically different from the rest of the group. I'm sure I have other questions but I just can't think of them right now.

I'll take any advice I can get! Bonus points if it's good advice! Anyone here going out on the 22-23OCT2020 trip by any chance?

Thank you all,
Josh

Last edited by joshmill; 09-22-2020 at 04:53 AM..