NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Passaic River Walleye 3/15 - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 03-16-2013, 07:51 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Passaic River Walleye 3/15

Looking at the numbers of pike that get stocked in the Passaic each year I wouldn't worry ablout it.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:25 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Passaic River Walleye 3/15

Pike are considered a nuisance fish not only here in the US but other countries. Their voraciousness and fast growth rates can decimate any existing fisheries such as perch, trout, or bass. They don't reproduce well here in NJ(passaic is too fast and its flows fluctuate too much) which is why the state doesn't worry about stocking them. They need thick mats of submerged vegetation(preferably grasses) in shallow water for the duration of the spawning period. Not too many bodies of water have thick mats in the early spring(most plants die off in the fall). In fact, flooded grasslands along reservoirs/lakes/rivers were the areas that had the highest densities of pike eggs. Since these areas are often temporary, reproductive success varied widely from year to year.

Anyhow, back to nuisance subject. There are many cases of lakes having to be poisoned to kill pike. From California:

Quote:
Northern pike are listed in the California Code of Regulations Title 14
Section 671 as a “detrimental animal” and it is unlawful to import, transport or possess northern pike alive except under permit.
On several occasion after finding just a few pike, they poisoned the lake(s) to eradicate them.

Last edited by buzzbaiter; 03-16-2013 at 08:31 AM..
Old 03-16-2013, 08:29 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS
Looking at the numbers of pike that get stocked in the Passaic each year I wouldn't worry about it.
Most of the Walleye would get eaten before they grew up I guess is what you are saying... Correct if the habitat favors Pike, which is probably the case in the Passaic... walleyes need clean gravel to spawn, and generally do better in deeper clearer water.. Like I said,there are probably reasons the state doesn't manage the Passaic for Walleye.. It would be interesting to find out how the ones that are caught got in there.. Were they stocked at one time?
Old 03-16-2013, 08:45 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Yes, walleye can be quite predatory. The reason we don’t stock them everywhere.

We keep them out of Splitrock Reservoir, where the SMB population is thriving.

That Passaic R. walleye either swam out of one of the impoundments that we stock them in that drainage, or an angler illegally stocked it (one year the annual fall gillnetting for lakers @ RVR yielded a walleye).

The walleye in the Raritan R. swam from the Del. R., via the D & R Canal.

As there is probably limited natural reproduction in NJ,….we augment it with stocking.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:14 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B.
Yes, walleye can be quite predatory. The reason we don’t stock them everywhere.

We keep them out of Splitrock Reservoir, where the SMB population is thriving.

That Passaic R. walleye either swam out of one of the impoundments that we stock them in that drainage, or an angler illegally stocked it (one year the annual fall gillnetting for lakers @ RVR yielded a walleye).

The walleye in the Raritan R. swam from the Del. R., via the D & R Canal.

As there is probably limited natural reproduction in NJ,….we augment it with stocking.
Living in NY state, I probably catch more Walleyes than my brethren in NJ, but I must say, the Delaware River in NJ , is a MUCH cleaner and better looking river than the susquehanna here in NY.. Deeper, more diverse, much "fishier" looking.. The Susquehanna is a shallow, stinky mud puddle up here.. Always turbid, runs green/brown all year, and still has storm sewers emptying into it everywhere... However in many spots its loaded with Walleyes... Looks more like a carp river, yet every year we catch little "spikes' by the millions it seems, along with nice keepers, so reproduction is very good... There are many locals that limit out every single time they fish.. I don't, but i do ok.. I mean, even shore fishing without moving 3 feet in either direction its not big deal taking 2 or 3 nice keepers in less than an hour. I know the big D has Walleyes, and I know they grow pretty big, but I don't understand why it doesn't see the numbers of fish we see in the muddy susky...bob
Old 03-16-2013, 06:54 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Nice catch skunk, thats why I love river fishing. You never know what might be on the end of your line!
Old 03-16-2013, 09:19 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

NICE!!!

That river has lots of surprises.

Good job Rob.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:34 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Passaic River Walleye 3/15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbob
Living in NY state, I probably catch more Walleyes than my brethren in NJ, but I must say, the Delaware River in NJ , is a MUCH cleaner and better looking river than the susquehanna here in NY.. Deeper, more diverse, much "fishier" looking.. The Susquehanna is a shallow, stinky mud puddle up here.. Always turbid, runs green/brown all year, and still has storm sewers emptying into it everywhere... However in many spots its loaded with Walleyes... Looks more like a carp river, yet every year we catch little "spikes' by the millions it seems, along with nice keepers, so reproduction is very good... There are many locals that limit out every single time they fish.. I don't, but i do ok.. I mean, even shore fishing without moving 3 feet in either direction its not big deal taking 2 or 3 nice keepers in less than an hour. I know the big D has Walleyes, and I know they grow pretty big, but I don't understand why it doesn't see the numbers of fish we see in the muddy susky...bob
My best days of ice fishing came from the SUSKY in PA. I'm talkin bout 25-50 EYES a day. Average size was 12- 16 inches but a lot of fun. PM me. If you want the spot.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:24 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thanks guys. Knowing that they could be spawning here is pretty crazy. Wonder what the population numbers actually are. Also, pretty crazy to think of the distance, obstacles, dams and water falls these fish live through before they get caught as 20"+ fish. Could it be their instincts are to swim downstream no matter what?

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 03-17-2013, 10:35 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

F*ckin Awesome!