NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Manasquan River/Reservoir Trout? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 03-14-2018, 11:45 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Manasquan River/Reservoir Trout?

Does anyone fish the Manasquan River access areas in Howell/Farmingdale for trout? What about the Manasquan Reservoir itself? I just moved very close to what look like a few decent spots but I am new to freshwater fishing so if anyone has some tips I would appreciate them.

I know that they stock the river around here so I figure there must be something in there to catch. I see a few past posts that mention the river is pretty muddy up this far but it is close so I would still like to check it out. I also know that the reservoir gets pretty crowded so I’ll probably avoid that area most days.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:39 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Manasquan River/Reservoir Trout?

The Manasquan River is characterized by steep, muddy banks and perpetually murky water. Even at its clearest it is far muddier than the average NJ trout stream. The state throws in quite a few trout, but you're usually limited to a handful of fishable stretches making for sometimes crowded conditions. I gave up on that river a few years ago.

I believe the reservoir was stocked with trout several years ago, but not for a while. Shoreline access is very limited, and you really do need a boat to fish it effectively. There are some big fish in there though: smallmouth and largemouth, hybrids, and tiger muskies.
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube
Old 03-14-2018, 01:20 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard Almighty View Post
The Manasquan River is characterized by steep, muddy banks and perpetually murky water. Even at its clearest it is far muddier than the average NJ trout stream. The state throws in quite a few trout, but you're usually limited to a handful of fishable stretches making for sometimes crowded conditions. I gave up on that river a few years ago.

I believe the reservoir was stocked with trout several years ago, but not for a while. Shoreline access is very limited, and you really do need a boat to fish it effectively. There are some big fish in there though: smallmouth and largemouth, hybrids, and tiger muskies.
Thanks for all the info. Any tips for trout gear in the river?
Old 03-14-2018, 06:20 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

bring a lot of spinners with you . make sure you spray yourself for ticks ,they get very bad in the month of may . lots of good holes on that river
Old 03-14-2018, 06:57 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

And there is always the possibility of catching a sea run brown. Remember when the state used to raise brown trout?
Old 03-15-2018, 08:06 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Manasquan river is cool caught tons of crappies, largies sunnies and even schoolie stripers, but never had any luck with trout the water is muddy on a constant and the banks are super slippery with the weather weve gotten so be careful but i went like 3 weeks ago got the fat skunk
Old 03-15-2018, 08:16 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Stocked with trout, spring & fall, from Havens Bridge Rd., Farmingdale to Brice Park, Wall Township.

Yes, very slippery mud.

NJDF&W used to stock trout in Manasquan Res., but no more. Few were caught, due to the reservoir's large size, & water gets too warm for the trout to hold over.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:17 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Yesterday I fished a 1/2 mile stretch of the 'Squan and despite conditions that I believed were ideal for troutin', I was rewarded with only two stockies. I was disappointed but not surprised.

One does not simply walk up to the Manasquan River and expect trout.

I have fished it for years and come to know it well. If there is a more challenging stream to fish in New Jersey, I haven't seen it. Both the conditions on the banks and in the water can easily frustrate fishermen who are accustomed to the more "classic" trout fishing experience. Anglers usually go home cursing and swearing that they'll never return, and many never do.

The banks tend to be high, muddy and overgrown with brush. The water is usually murky but can improve to "misty" if it hasn't rained in a while. Branches growing over the water and fallen tree after fallen tree will hinder your casting ability.

If you try to wade into the river to give yourself more space to cast, and you don't slide down the bank, you will often sink almost up to your knees in mud.

Despite these challenges, there are not a few sweet spots that often hold good numbers of trout. If you can skillfully cast your bait over a fallen tree or past some branches blocking your view, you might be able to get a strike.

The Pequest hatchery does stock about 9,000 trout in the 'Squan every spring, and these are scattered among about ten stocking points from Howell to Wall. Back in 2005 a fisherman did land a 10 lb. rainbow trout.

Here's a photo of one of the river's more open banks.

https://www.nynjtc.org/sites/default...gstaff2014.jpg

https://www.monmouthcountyparks.com/..._riv_grway.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-QR8M7N4LBJ...2+MSQUAN-3.jpg

Last edited by Doug Vitale; 10-11-2019 at 09:30 PM..
Old 05-04-2018, 08:27 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Are there any other freshwater fish in there that might make it worth the effort outside of stocked trout? Smallmouth? I know Stripers and Blue fish enter the Squan out toward the salt but are probably not up where you are fishing. I would be surprised if there was no other freshwater types to fish for up stream. As you can tell I've never fished it outside of the downstream areas for blue fish and snappers as a kid growing up in Wall.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:32 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Everything that was stated above in regards to the Manasquan and it's trout fishery are 100% true.

I've never done particularly well there, and the fish that are stocked are picked out pretty fast. The dirty water doesn't help.