NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NOAA Budget To Be Slashed - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Non Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Non Fishing Use this board to post non fishing related information. The same rules apply here as the other boards. Behave or your post will be removed along with your posting priviledges.

Old 03-04-2017, 01:40 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: NOAA Budget To Be Slashed

I still want to know who was responsible for making the ice age go away, was it an oil? coal ? or automotive company? Obviously the average temps have been rising for how many uncountable years and that all started long before carbon futures exchanges and solar panels were designed to enrich certain people. You cant stop nature, just not a difficult concept to grasp. yes we are responsible for some absurdly minute percent of the situation so lets stop enjoying the things we enjoy and mortgage our children's and beyond futures to accomplish nothing. There is a big difference between dealing in conceptual unproven and cant be proven theories and real issues that can be managed, corrected and improved.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefish View Post
I still want to know who was responsible for making the ice age go away, was it an oil? coal ? or automotive company? Obviously the average temps have been rising for how many uncountable years and that all started long before carbon futures exchanges and solar panels were designed to enrich certain people. You cant stop nature, just not a difficult concept to grasp. yes we are responsible for some absurdly minute percent of the situation so lets stop enjoying the things we enjoy and mortgage our children's and beyond futures to accomplish nothing. There is a big difference between dealing in conceptual unproven and cant be proven theories and real issues that can be managed, corrected and improved.
This is just absurd. What other scientific theories do you dispute? Gravity? Evolution?
Old 03-04-2017, 01:55 PM
Banned

Not for nothing the new Energy Secretary was a big time supporter of wind energy. Why? It's good for business AND the environment.

http://www.windpowerengineering.com/...ee-rick-perry/
Old 03-04-2017, 01:55 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefish View Post
The shortest interglacials lasted 10,000 to 30,000 years, not a century or so.
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Fea...ming/page3.php
Old 03-04-2017, 02:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishguy View Post
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-Isaac Asimov, 1980

There is a healthy dose of this on NJFishing.
Got that right and your talking points line up well also
Old 03-04-2017, 02:38 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Anthropogenic (human caused) climate change is real. I base my assertion upon the experience and knowledge that I acquired during my 40+ years working as a professional environmental engineer and scientist. During my career I worked on all sides off the fence, big companies, state and federal agencies, and as an independent consultant. My work included teaching numerous college environmental courses over the past 25 years, and that work required me to understand the body of scientific data regarding atmospheric phenomena. Just as importantly, regarding climate change, is my common sense understanding of natural systems dynamics obtained from every day observations during my 60 years recreating, as in fishing, and loving the natural world (like most of the folks posting?- hey this ain't rocket science). So my observation is that there is a clear cause and effect connection between the human use of Earth’s carbon based resources and climate change, which is resulting in a major alteration of the earth's climate. I liked the quote cited in an earlier post in this thread, “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” We are flirting with disastrous outcomes when scientific facts are concluded to be fake based on opinions asserted by uninformed individuals. I hope that we humans wake up to this dangerous trend…if you understand the geological history of the Earth, they you realize that species have come and gone during the history of Earth…don’t forget that fact. PS & Fyi – this is my first and last post on this thread. Thanks for keeping an open mind.
Old 03-04-2017, 02:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Joe View Post
Got that right and your talking points line up well also
Not sure what you mean, Cap. Sometimes your posts are vague or somewhat nonsensical. If you agree with the idea that people wrongly use their own notion of democracy to justify willful ignorance in the face of facts and truth then thank you for voicing your support.
If you are being sarcastic then I think you've proved my point.
Old 03-04-2017, 02:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic View Post
Anthropogenic (human caused) climate change is real. I base my assertion upon the experience and knowledge that I acquired during my 40+ years working as a professional environmental engineer and scientist. During my career I worked on all sides off the fence, big companies, state and federal agencies, and as an independent consultant. My work included teaching numerous college environmental courses over the past 25 years, and that work required me to understand the body of scientific data regarding atmospheric phenomena. Just as importantly, regarding climate change, is my common sense understanding of natural systems dynamics obtained from every day observations during my 60 years recreating, as in fishing, and loving the natural world (like most of the folks posting?- hey this ain't rocket science). So my observation is that there is a clear cause and effect connection between the human use of Earth’s carbon based resources and climate change, which is resulting in a major alteration of the earth's climate. I liked the quote cited in an earlier post in this thread, “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” I hope that we humans wake up to this dangerous trend…if you understand the geological history of the Earth, they you realize that species have come and gone during the history of Earth…don’t forget that fact. PS & Fyi – this is my first and last post on this thread. Thanks for keeping an open mind.
"We are flirting with disastrous outcomes when scientific facts are concluded to be fake based on opinions asserted by uninformed individuals."

Individuals here on NJFishing are uninformed or choose to be ignorant. The fossil fuel industry is very well informed about climate change. Shell oil knew in 1991 and did nothing. https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-change-danger

Still waiting for anyone to post links to any peer reviewed science stating what so many here are claiming to be true, that climate change has little or nothing to do with mankind's activity...
Old 03-04-2017, 07:08 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishguy View Post
"We are flirting with disastrous outcomes when scientific facts are concluded to be fake based on opinions asserted by uninformed individuals."

Individuals here on NJFishing are uninformed or choose to be ignorant. The fossil fuel industry is very well informed about climate change. Shell oil knew in 1991 and did nothing. https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-change-danger

Still waiting for anyone to post links to any peer reviewed science stating what so many here are claiming to be true, that climate change has little or nothing to do with mankind's activity...
Don't think that'll happen...Everyone should realize that since the start of the "industrial revolution" we've been spewing contaminates out of every smokestack into the atmosphere...not as much here now but look at the rest of the world-- ie: China & India, to name 2...Of course auto exhaust has increased if only due to more cars, more traffic, more slow downs, more idling in more traffic jams regardless of the emission advances. It's not all manmade pollution--wasn't it April 1815 when Calbuco blew it's top causing 1816 to be known as "The year with no summer"? Lots of eruptions since-they all help especially the majors with the ash cloud reaching the Stratosphere...but then that's a cooling effect...maybe we should force more massive eruptions...no, then there wouldn't be any fur-bearing animals left, they'd all be killed so the pelts could be made into coats...hummm...quite a conundrum...
John M. missed and always remembered
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead (Jimmy Buffett)
Old 03-04-2017, 07:33 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Everyone on this board engages in at least one form of outdoor recreation. Leaving aside the issue of climate change, how can anyone here think that more pollution (air or water) is a good thing. Would you rather have an EPA that erred on the side of caution (less pollution) or more? Politics aside, I want the cleanest air and water possible and am willing to pay for it, including the occasional misstep or over reach.