NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Buying a boat - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 03-15-2019, 12:56 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Buying a boat

Hi,

I am curious of a few topics of buying a boat. Yes I have searched the web and read a ton of feedback across the country on the topic but figured, this is Jersey we are our own class so I’ll take it here. I’m 30 this is a big purchase for me so I could use the help!

1. I’m live upper east side nyc for work but own a home in point pleasant beach from a fishery would it be best to dock my boat for more immediate access in jersey city/bk wherever in the urban nyc / nj area to fish 40 times a year (honest projection) or dock in point and fish 24-28 times a year but those times will be on ground I know very well.

2. Finance or buy, I figured I can buy a boat for $15k-$20k out right or I can finance a new or used boat for monthly payments what a car would cost me. I look at it this way, I go on 8 open boat fluke trips a year, 1500 with tips, maybe 5 party boat trips another $500 with tip. I run a few canyon trips which I’d give up for a boat so figure another $1500 in open boats. It makes sense now to fish more on boat of my own the pay.

3. Never owned a boat but know like a pro weather charts, fuel ratios , basic mechanics, and basic overhead. What’s a good beginner boat for $300 monthly payment (excluding docking) or $15-20k (excluding docking)

Thanks
Ben
Old 03-15-2019, 09:06 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Buying a boat

In my opinion there is nothing like owning your own boat .
Fishing where and when you want To.

But it’s def not cheaper by any means to do so.
Slip fees and insurance combined will be 4/5 grand.
That’s 20-30 trips on an open charter ,before you even start to add your expenses for the year.
Gas ,oil, maintainance etc add up quick .

I would keep the boat where I would get the most use of it.
But also know to slip a boat near JC is way more $ than in the point area.

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Old 03-15-2019, 10:25 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

good question, but too many variables depend on you... what you fish for, open boat or cabin, etc.

Generally the closer to NYC you go the docking charged per foot goes up. example $150-$200 per foot. You have docking in a little marina on East 23 and Chelsea pier and W. 79th street.

I've found the easier to use the boat - the more you use it.

Don't forget rack storage where they pull the boat out for you. And Sea Streak off Wall Street can take you to Atlantic Highlands. But your house is 30 miles south of there in PP.

Do you want ocean fishing, bay fishing?

I personally think the old adage of progressively buying bigger and bigger boats is a waste of money and time. My first was a 32 footer and worked DOWN to a 25'

So do tell more? Or private message me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhaleFart View Post
Hi,

I am curious of a few topics of buying a boat. Yes I have searched the web and read a ton of feedback across the country on the topic but figured, this is Jersey we are our own class so I’ll take it here. I’m 30 this is a big purchase for me so I could use the help!

1. I’m live upper east side nyc for work but own a home in point pleasant beach from a fishery would it be best to dock my boat for more immediate access in jersey city/bk wherever in the urban nyc / nj area to fish 40 times a year (honest projection) or dock in point and fish 24-28 times a year but those times will be on ground I know very well.

2. Finance or buy, I figured I can buy a boat for $15k-$20k out right or I can finance a new or used boat for monthly payments what a car would cost me. I look at it this way, I go on 8 open boat fluke trips a year, 1500 with tips, maybe 5 party boat trips another $500 with tip. I run a few canyon trips which I’d give up for a boat so figure another $1500 in open boats. It makes sense now to fish more on boat of my own the pay.

3. Never owned a boat but know like a pro weather charts, fuel ratios , basic mechanics, and basic overhead. What’s a good beginner boat for $300 monthly payment (excluding docking) or $15-20k (excluding docking)

Thanks
Ben
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber
Old 03-15-2019, 02:56 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I've owned 10 boats varying in size to 33' , cost of boat is probably the cheapest part of the equation ! It's the peripheral costs that you spend most cash on , & unforeseen expenses !
If your purchasing 20k boat the motors / motor maybe be your biggest issue and whatever else goes south in any older boat !
If your handy you can have your cake and eat it to , but if your not then your might succumb to that old adage break out another $1000
If you can purchase a late model used with some warranties in tact that would help , but basically with a used boat your on your own ! Gonna cost a lot more then 20k , I'm afraid !
Old 03-16-2019, 08:17 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I have older 23 hydra sport wa, with 225 hp.1999, I'm 2nd owner, knew the 1st owner , so I bought it a couple years ago. Boat was in very good condition for its age. I lucked out. But you never know what you get used.

If I had the money I would buy a leftover or only couple years old with some manufacturers warranty.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:30 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Agreed. Ideal is a boat year or two old. Under warranty and about 60% of the price of a new one, One year old is about 75% of a new one with warranties still attached.

Boats don't hold value. But some boats are built better to last longer... Grady White or Boston Whaler vs. Bayliner. People know this. And the better built used boats will cost more.

Like used cars.. the older the boat is the more likely it needs TLC backed by $$$

Trailered boats. Rack stored boats. Fresh vs. salt water boats docked are all factors too.

There are very small deals with dealers because they know what they are selling. However, find the guy who sold it to them before the dealer gets it and you'll pay 60% -70 % of what the used boat dealer is re-selling it for. HOWEVER.... NO WARRANTIES WITH PRIVATE SALES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfedor View Post
I have older 23 hydra sport wa, with 225 hp.1999, I'm 2nd owner, knew the 1st owner , so I bought it a couple years ago. Boat was in very good condition for its age. I lucked out. But you never know what you get used.

If I had the money I would buy a leftover or only couple years old with some manufacturers warranty.
Big time hottie crabber
Old 03-18-2019, 01:39 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

My take on this.....

Owning your own boat makes almost no financial sense at all, you are way better off chartering.. It does however give you the freedom to fish when you want and a sense of accomplishment when you put yourself on the fish, but you pay a lot for that benefit. Just do the math....

As far as financing vs purchasing.... A boat is a luxury item and it's value drops like a rock...For me since it's a luxury item if I can't afford to pay cash then I really can't afford it.

Buying used boat will save you a ton of money since someone else took the big hit on depreciation so as mentioned above, I would go used... And, since this is you first boat, if you decide your needs changed or owning a boat isn't all that it's cracked up to be you can get out of it with a lesser hit.

As far as where to dock it.... NYC area is going to be very expensive but it's an easy run to the Stripers in the early Spring....Once late spring/early summer rolls around you're better off in Point Pleasant...

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 03-18-2019, 03:12 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post
My take on this.....

Owning your own boat makes almost no financial sense at all, you are way better off chartering.. It does however give you the freedom to fish when you want and a sense of accomplishment when you put yourself on the fish, but you pay a lot for that benefit. Just do the math....

As far as financing vs purchasing.... A boat is a luxury item and it's value drops like a rock...For me since it's a luxury item if I can't afford to pay cash then I really can't afford it.

Buying used boat will save you a ton of money since someone else took the big hit on depreciation so as mentioned above, I would go used... And, since this is you first boat, if you decide your needs changed or owning a boat isn't all that it's cracked up to be you can get out of it with a lesser hit.

As far as where to dock it.... NYC area is going to be very expensive but it's an easy run to the Stripers in the early Spring....Once late spring/early summer rolls around you're better off in Point Pleasant...
Having said all this, I've owned a boat for the past 25 years and as long as I am able physically and financially I will always own one..

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 03-18-2019, 11:06 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Buy a clean used boat, and trailer it.. Trailering CAN be a pain in the ass but there are a LOT of advantages.. Much much cheaper than a slip, and you can put in anywhere the hot bite is.. If the Striper fishing or fluking is killer in SH/Raritan Bay, and dead as a door nail elsewhere, you either motor up the coast or don't catch.. If you trailer, you are at the ramp in 1/2 hour or less, and then only have a 10 minute boat ride to the fish... I often fantasize about getting a slip, but then when I see what others pay, I get terminal sticker shock.. Another option would be seasonal on trailer storage. You simply hook up your rig right at the marina, launch, fish, retrieve and then leave the rig there till next time.. Not as convenient as a slip, but again, a fraction of the cost, and you could always just go pick up your rig to tow it elsewhere if you would like to fish a new area..

it just depends on what you want to do, and how much you want to spend..
A slip is certainly convenient, but its costly.. A trailer is less convenient unless you want to try several areas each year, which many people do, and it is much cheaper... bob
Old 03-19-2019, 10:28 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I slept on mine the night before we left. So the slip was a home.

You know there are places like BLACKFOOT you can leave your trailer boat down shore? you don't need aa big driveway or yard.

Just throwing it out there,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
Buy a clean used boat, and trailer it.. Trailering CAN be a pain in the ass but there are a LOT of advantages.. Much much cheaper than a slip, and you can put in anywhere the hot bite is.. If the Striper fishing or fluking is killer in SH/Raritan Bay, and dead as a door nail elsewhere, you either motor up the coast or don't catch.. If you trailer, you are at the ramp in 1/2 hour or less, and then only have a 10 minute boat ride to the fish... I often fantasize about getting a slip, but then when I see what others pay, I get terminal sticker shock.. Another option would be seasonal on trailer storage. You simply hook up your rig right at the marina, launch, fish, retrieve and then leave the rig there till next time.. Not as convenient as a slip, but again, a fraction of the cost, and you could always just go pick up your rig to tow it elsewhere if you would like to fish a new area..

it just depends on what you want to do, and how much you want to spend..
A slip is certainly convenient, but its costly.. A trailer is less convenient unless you want to try several areas each year, which many people do, and it is much cheaper... bob
Big time hottie crabber