NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Monmouth County Trout - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 04-11-2012, 06:36 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Monmouth County Trout

Hello and thanks in advance for your input.

I was wondering if anyone knew a good spot to start trout fishing in Monmouth County? I'm not looking for exact coordinates to your favorite honey hole, just a name of a brook or river worth fishing. I usually drive west to trout fish, but since I live in Monmouth I wouldn't mind finding a place worth fishing after work.

I did my research on NJ.gov but I figured I get as much input before I start wasting gas driving around the county.

Thanks again.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:25 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Monmouth County Trout

Your options are sadly limited. You can either join the Bucket Brigade at the numerous ponds, or slip and slide on the muddy banks of the Manasquan River. If you have the time to drive north for trout fishing, I suggest you do so. Good luck either way.
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube
Old 04-12-2012, 05:53 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

L.A, thanks for your input, unfortunately I did a little scouting yesterday after work and you're 100% correct. Looks like west it is.

Thanks again.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:00 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

If you start trout fishing in Monmouth County you will soon give up the sport! The closest place for you to fish productively for trout is the north branch of the Raritan River. Get on Rte. 287 north, get on Rte. 22 west, then Rte 202 south. The river is just past Milltown Rd. Bridgewater. They stock a lot of fish off the bridge. Good luck. It's rocky bottom not mud. Then you can drive south on Rte. 202 (toward Flemington) and fish at Three Bridges which is the south branch of the Raritan River. It's a very scenic place.

Last edited by Cuz; 04-16-2012 at 12:35 AM..
Old 04-12-2012, 10:12 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Well I moved to Woodbridge from Neptune and still take a ride down to the manasquan from time to time I hit around the west farms area used to wade it but it's still so washed out from Irene you can sit on a tree overhanging the bank , I had limit in 20 minutes,keeping only two, 1 fat 17" bow and another 1 right behind it. All alone with my two buds in one stretch with everyone else cuddled up under the bridge, not my style. You can even have some fun at the shark river at the legion or remsen mills. Spring lake is nice to toss some spinners or rapalas now that its calmed down, or lake takanassee in long branch, if you got a yak try shadow lake in red bank... There are options out there- but then again... The raritan is awesome, good luck!!!
www.quality1stcompanies.com
Old 04-12-2012, 01:44 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I grew up in Monmouth county and used to like fishing Hockhocksen Brook behind the Old Mill in Shrewsbury. Plenty of other places as well check out Fish & Games web page for a full listings. http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/trtinfo.htm
Old 04-12-2012, 02:12 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I recommend reading Mark B.'s comments on the Manasquan in a previous thread:

http://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?p=212478

I'm pretty sure that the Manasquan gets too low and hot during the summer, so there are no holdover trout from one year to the next. Even though it's a poor habitat for trout, apparent some sea run brown trout swim up it to spawn.

http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/crunbrn.htm

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/news/2002/crunman02.htm
Old 04-12-2012, 03:32 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfish28
if you got a yak try shadow lake in red bank...
Are there trout in Shadow Lake now? I cut my teeth in starting freshwater fishing on that lake, I only caught perch and dink LMB there but saw some big catfish taken out of there. I thought a good portion of it washed away during the tropical storm this past year. With the dredging on/off again I would not have thought it would have been a stocking location but since the state is all about moving the fishing licenses who knows.

I heard once the falls behind the Grist Mill in Tinton Falls holds fish but I'm a bit wary of the accuracy of the source.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:56 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

They still stock Shadow Lake and yes there are some huge Channel Cats swimming in there. Stream behind the Grist Mill is Hockhocksen Brook and it's stocked as well.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:39 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaink
Stream behind the Grist Mill is Hockhocksen Brook and it's stocked as well.
LOL, I never should have doubted my source although Lou Reed once sang "You can't always trust your mother".