NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Giant Lahontan Cutthroat Trout in NV (Jan 24 - Jan25, 2020) - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 02-06-2020, 08:57 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Giant Lahontan Cutthroat Trout in NV (Jan 24 - Jan25, 2020)

Standing on a custom-modified stepladder placed precariously amongst the rocks in about 3 feet of water, I peered down into the saline lake directly in front of me. Rocks along the bottom were visible going out a few yards, then nothing. A drop off that plunged to unknown depths, mysteriously hiding the residents of the lake that cruised beyond the drop off.

The landscape was foreign to me...worlds apart from the lush vegetation and trees of the east coast. Here, the mountainous, rocky landscape made me feel like I was fishing on a distant planet. Certainly unlike anywhere I'd fished before. Yet, it was a perfectly fitting scene for hunting a giant, prehistoric species of trout that roam this body of water. A species found at this size and abundance nowhere else on planet Earth. Giant Lahontan cutthroat trout.

This was the time of year for big fish. Though much of the year, Lahontans can be found roaming the lake feeding on large tui chubs, a baitfish endemic to the lake. However, fish become more sluggish in the winter and gorge themselves on tiny chironomids
prior to the spawn. And they do so within reach of shore. This time of year usually means less bites, but with each bite comes the shot at a true monster. Which is why I was here.

I climbed on my ladder, my fishing platform, prepared to cast when it shifted awkwardly and tilted to the left, threatening to toss me off right into the water. Lesson one of the day: make sure the ladder is tight and secure on the bottom BEFORE you climb on. Got it.

Take two...I climbed on top of the platform, pulled out some flyline, and began to roll cast with the two handed switch rod. It had been a while since I'd gripped the long rod as my weapon of choice, but I soon settled into the rhythm. Despite the size of the fish we were targeting, we were using tiny flies to mimic the tiny chironamids. A small indicator (bobber to the conventional fishermen) to keep the flies suspended finished off the rig.

Unfortunately, we were dealing with very little wind and calm conditions. Not ideal for the fishery, but obviously we had to make due. Since there wasn't much of a drift, the protocol involved casting, then twitching the bobber now and then. Just like panfishing back on Lake Hopatcong. Total focus was of the utmost importance...this time of year you had to make every bite count. Cast...twitch...repeat.

It didn't take long to get my first bite. My eyes were focused on the float...and then it was gone. Without even thinking, relax took over and I did a quick strip set and was tight. I could tell it wasn't a huge fish, but still my first Lahontan. It was a beautiful fish that was released after a quick pic.

I got back to casting and it didn't take long for the float to disappear again. These trout change direction quickly, and will often charge into shallow water so it's best to fight them by stripping line, since the flyreels lack the gear ratio required to keep up with these fish. This one was a better fish, and it charged into shallow water, then began bulldogging with violent headshakes. Its takes a bit of patience to land these beasts. After a good fight, the net was slipped under my first double digit of the trip.

The morning continued to provide steady action for me, and by the time we stopped for lunch I'd landed 5 and hooked 7.

Things slowed for me in the afternoon, and I pulled the hook on a nice fish. A few guys around me had steady action throughout the afternoon, though.

We arrived at the lake on day 2 and were greeted with sunny skies and glassy conditions, exactly what I was hoping we wouldn't see. We started fishing at 9 and the beautiful weather led to slow fishing. My father landed a fish after a couple of hours of fishing, but that was it. As the hours dragged on, I continued to watch my indicator float happily on calm waters. And I watched. And I watched. And I watched.

I rushed through lunch so I could get back out. More time in the water, the better chance at a fish. Finally, at 4pm, the float slipped under and I set the hook on a powerful fish. The trout ran up and down the shoreline, staying down. I could see the fish as it swam and fought in front of me. This was a beast. After a tense fight, and a close call attempting to net the fish when it wasn't quite ready, the net was slipped under a monster Lahontan cutthroat. This fish went 15+lbs, and was the fish of the trip for me. Worth every second of time spent casting and hoping for a bite.

Another adventure in the books. Pyramid is a unique place with a special fishery for these giant trout. I know I'll be back next year.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:19 AM
Site Sponsor

Default Re: Giant Lahontan Cutthroat Trout in NV (Jan 24 - Jan25, 2020)

BEAUTIFUL! Plain and simple BEAUTIFUL!!!!
Rvta member
Knee Deep member
Mike K Guide Service (owner)
https://www.facebook.com/MikeKGuideService/
(908 642-5423
Old 02-06-2020, 11:32 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Good write up. Phenomenal fish. Great trip! Ill have to consider this on my bucket list.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:33 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Nice!!!they almost look like a taimen but with red cheeks
Old 02-06-2020, 11:34 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Amazing write up, and beautiful fish!!
Old 02-06-2020, 12:13 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Very cool.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:26 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

where in the world is JDTrout!

outstanding writeup and pics
Old 02-06-2020, 12:34 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

wow!!!! x 10,what a great story and fish.congrats JD,keep living the dream.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:23 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I wanna be you when I grow up!
Old 02-06-2020, 06:07 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Giant Lahontan Cutthroat Trout in NV (Jan 24 - Jan25, 2020)

Omg! The Red colors are so intense! Great post and absolute beauties! I’ve read about these dinosaurs! Pretty friggin awesome to know someone that went out there and caught them! Good stuff Tuna man!!!