NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Wanted browns, found bows! - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 10-19-2018, 09:39 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Wanted browns, found bows!

Recently I got a free day to do some trout fishing like I’ve been dying to do. So I went up to the northwestern most part of the state to look for some wild browns. I hopped around from stream, to river, back to stream and back to river again.

First spot I stopped was the flat brook, I tied on a spinner and on the third cast I scored an awesome rainbow. Around 18” and CHUNKY. In the range of 2-3 pounds, my biggest rainbow ever! I continued fishing on this stretch for an hour and a half without another bite. Went back to the hole I caught the big guy in to see if I could get another, when all of a sudden a fly angler appears out of the woods and walks directly into the hole I’m fishing. Can’t imagine the fish didn’t get spooked so I left that spot.

I moved to another stretch of the flatbrook that looked JUICY. Talked to a fly angler who was leaving, he caught nothing. I still had the spinner on so I started with that. I hooked into something and saw a flash of brown in the water, finally a brown! NOT! Much to my surprise, I pulled up a very large fallfish, my first one too! Had to be over 15”, which I read is rare for this species.

After throwing the spinner around awhile longer I decided to switch up lures. Everyone on this site talks about using plugs, and they day before I had bought a new one, so I tied it on and gave it some casts. I cast into a deep hole and saw a trout rise to the surface, he followed it for about 6 feet and then savagely turned on it and I was hooked up! Landed a small rainbow, possibly a wild one? Not sure. My first ever trout on a plug!

It was a fantastic day of fishing and I can’t wait to get back up there to try and find some browns. Anyone have tips on finding them? They would be much appreciated. Tight lines all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	066AAB0D-BE7D-44D6-94D3-6D986C03D4F1.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	128848   Click image for larger version

Name:	839E0433-E293-4B30-BAC8-1525F28921C2.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	128849   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCF4E650-3104-43F8-9C9E-B2F3019F14FA.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	128850  
Old 10-19-2018, 10:32 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Wanted browns, found bows!

Very nice, dude! Beautiful fish.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:11 AM
Site Sponsor

Those panther Martin spinners are deadly😉 nice job
Rvta member
Knee Deep member
Mike K Guide Service (owner)
https://www.facebook.com/MikeKGuideService/
(908 642-5423
Old 10-19-2018, 12:46 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Talking Re: Wanted browns, found bows!

Great looking fish man! Glad you caught a few! Man those Browns can be hard to find! You just have to keep walking and exploring til you find em!
Old 10-19-2018, 12:51 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Nice fish!

I'd peg that 2nd bow as a holdover from spring stocking. Cool fish.

15" fallfish is a prize That's a beast. I've gotten a few pushing that in more remote sections of the Rockaway. The big D has some giants as well.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:33 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Wanted browns, found bows!

Very nice !! I've gone a little nutty on treble hooks for C&R trout, call me a whack job for encouraging those to go barbless. I dunno, I'm on the single hook jig thing so it's not all that bad, just hate seeing FW fish with a head full of treble hooks sticking out all over the place. Talked to a few about SMB and they all went barbless on the trebles.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:57 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Consider PA for the browns, especially if you like the fast water. Shoot me a PM and I'll provide some spots.

Dave
Old 10-19-2018, 08:04 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Sick rainbows man, and yes the fallfish can get HUGE, creek chubs are the smaller species, but those fallfish can be as hefty as your typical trout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Very nice !! I've gone a little nutty on treble hooks for C&R trout, call me a whack job for encouraging those to go barbless. I dunno, I'm on the single hook jig thing so it's not all that bad, just hate seeing FW fish with a head full of treble hooks sticking out all over the place. Talked to a few about SMB and they all went barbless on the trebles.
Biggest reason I go barbless on multi-treble hook lures is for MY safety. Way to easy to get sticked by a hook on a jerkbait. Many other reasons too.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:26 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Sweet catching. Congrats on your pb rainbow and fishing firsts.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:26 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
100% agree!!!

I swap out the treble hooks on my lures for single hooks and the crush the barbs down. I do lose more fish but since I am releasing everything anyway I'm fine with that.