NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Nice pike - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 07-21-2014, 09:12 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Nice pike

Here's my advice on keeping your herring alive, I talk to them and shower them with love and affection!
No, seriously Def use a cooler as big as possible, preferably with as rounded corners as you can find. But any well insulated cooler will do.
I have gone thru many of those white box airators and they flat out suck
I decided to buy one from Frabill costs like tweleve bucks and it works fantastic!
And you want an airstone that emits fine small bubbles.
I also use a product called Finer Shiner which helps tremendously.
Your losses will be minimal that way. A little ice in a ziplock bag will help cool the water if need be but normally I don't need to add ice.
I fish with herring all the time and buy a minimum of two dozen at a shot
Sometimes up to five dozen for a day and will only lose a couple this way.
I have heard rumor that there is some kind of foam isulator you buy from home depot or lowes that will fit a five gallon bucket but never researched it.
At least try to keep them shaded and well airated and that should help some. I think those flow troll bait buckets are not a good idea for a few reasons.
The surface water they float on is very warm and the shape is not well suited for herring lots of hard sharp edges and really not big enough.
I know this is a little hard to do in a kayak but keeping those baits alive is priority number one.
Hope this helps out some of you guys.
If you only use a five gallon bucket see if you can get a six gallon instead I use them quite a bit as well and think the little bit of extra water does help.
And last but not least I always remove any that appear to be close to or already dead as soon as possible....... Nuf Said!!!!! LOL!!!!

16 Ft Princecraft DLX
9.9 Johnson
HELIX 7 Si GPS

Last edited by GetANet; 07-21-2014 at 09:16 PM..
Old 07-21-2014, 09:28 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

The surface water temp on Manasquan was 82 last Thursday. Our bait stayed nice and cool in the cooler. My trouble was keeping them alive on the hook. Too deep and they suffocate, too high and I think the heat shock would kill them. We did sabiki some local herring out of the warm lake using a green light that stayed alive until a catfish mauled it.

Gustard Wood
Tidewater 216
Old 07-21-2014, 09:42 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Niice..always wanted to sabiki those sobs but it never worked..what size rig where you using...any better success with the native bait?
Old 07-21-2014, 09:51 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Sweet evening gator man! That depth probly made the fight that much better too, congrats bro.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:39 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I have had decent success with size eight or if you can find ten even better,
I have caught them a few times at a few lakes with the sabiki rig.
Seems to me that when the schools were closer to the bottom I had better luck.
Thats just my experience Never really tried when they were on the surface.
I do catch some secret baits and wiill put in a decent amount of time doing it but usually I WANNA FISH!!!!!! and don't have the patience to sit there and jig rigs for bait when I'm on the water. I have caught some really nice baits though doing it. In a way it is kind of fun catching them cause you will feel them hit the rig kinda feels like a trout tap and then set the hook and leave it down for a little longer and sometimes you will get a few at a time that way just like sea bass or whiting for us old timers LOL!!!!

16 Ft Princecraft DLX
9.9 Johnson
HELIX 7 Si GPS
Old 07-22-2014, 09:46 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Update on the five gallon insulated liners, they are available thru a couple diff venders Home Depot is one but they need to be ordered on line. If you google it you will also find one made by Plastilite on amazon. Model number is CSL5-6 for about ten bucks which isn't bad when you consider Herring cost between six and eight bucks a dozen. And although it SAYS SIX you are only getting ONE.

16 Ft Princecraft DLX
9.9 Johnson
HELIX 7 Si GPS
Old 07-22-2014, 10:53 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I keep my bait in a 4 gal pail with and aerator. Herring are a schooling fish and follow each other. The round pail keeps them from jamming themselves in the corners. Not sure about the Styrofoam liners, they cut down on the water and have a rough surface. A frozen water bottle or two will keep them cool enough. You don't want to throw ice in as there may be chlorine in it. I put an aquarium thermometer in there and watch the temp. The bait shop keeps them a 62 degrees. I usually let them warm up to about 70 as I think the large temp change of going into 82 degree water is no good for them. That may have been some of your problem Scott, don't think you want to keep them to cool on a hot day.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:32 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

What's a whiting??? is that one of those "years ago" species? Lol
Old 07-23-2014, 10:47 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I say get tougher bait.